diy solar

diy solar

AC/Gen bypass vs charging on EG4 6000

Runaway Tractor

What dictates when/if the EG4 6000 is sending generator or grid power to the charger only vs bypassed straight to the load? I see the manual lists these modes. But I don't see how it decides what to do.

What dictates when/if the EG4 6000 is sending generator or grid power to the charger only vs bypassed straight to the load? I see the manual lists these modes. But I don't see how it decides what to do.

If it's charging batteries with the on-board AC to DC charger via genny/grid, it's passing through input AC to loads. It can't work any other way. The DC-AC inverting circuitry is being used in reverse (AC-DC) to charge, so it's not available for inverting.

In other words, inverter/chargers can do both, but only one at a time.

Ah ha, I wasn't connecting the dots that it was the same single piece of internal hardware, not an inverter and a separate charger under the hood. So with a 50amp grid input, it can use up to 25 amps of that for charging, leaving a minimum of 25 amps to load. Which matches the 25 amp inverter to load output. It's starting to make sense now.

Lets say a portable generator is hooked up to the gen input, so not using the gen start/stop functions. Will the generator AC be ignored if the battery is not below the "Generator Charge Start Battery Volt/SOC” setting? Or will it see any available AC on gen and utilize it? Will it automatically switch from gen to grid when grid power is restored?

In short, planning to use this as a UPS on a critical load subpanel. Trying to wrap my head around what the manual does not make clear.

I can't say to the specifics of the 6000XP; however, I expect it can be configured to work either way, i.e., use generator if it's present no matter what, OR only use generator if below a threshold, even if it's running.

Back