diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

A new study published in the Journal of Climate explores the climate impacts of this eruption.
Nice article, went looking for something my small brain could understand with a little more detail on the effects of the eruption and found the following...

"In terms of global mean temperatures, which are a measure of how much climate change we are experiencing, the impact of Hunga Tonga is very small, only about 0.015 degrees Celsius. (This was independently confirmed by another study.) This means that the incredibly high temperatures we have measured for about a year now cannot be attributed to the Hunga Tonga eruption."

Hope that helps.

Nice article, went looking for something my small brain could understand with a little more detail on the effects of the eruption and found the following...

"In terms of global mean temperatures, which are a measure of how much climate change we are experiencing, the impact of Hunga Tonga is very small, only about 0.015 degrees Celsius. (This was independently confirmed by another study.) This means that the incredibly high temperatures we have measured for about a year now cannot be attributed to the Hunga Tonga eruption."

Hope that helps.
Nice cherry picked section, did you see this one?
"

Disruption for the rest of the decade​

But there are some surprising, lasting impacts in some regions of the planet.

For the northern half of Australia, our model predicts colder and wetter than usual winters up to about 2029. For North America, it predicts warmer than usual winters, while for Scandinavia, it again predicts colder than usual winters.

The volcano seems to change the way some waves travel through the atmosphere. And atmospheric waves are responsible for highs and lows, which directly influence our weather.

It is important here to clarify that this is only one study, and one particular way of investigating what impact the Hunga Tonga eruption might have on our weather and climate. Like any other climate model, ours is not perfect."

A new study published in the Journal of Climate explores the climate impacts of this eruption.
Nice find, the full paper can be found here. Thanks for posting that! Water vapor is one the most potent GHGs, so odd ducks like the Tonga event are important IMO. Also kudos to @Bob B who first posted about this a year ago (see #2,572).

What's really interesting in the new paper is that while the impact per year estimates went down, the duration increased from 5 to 7 years. Both expect the impact to peak in 2024ish. Not that there won't be impacts for years yet, but that the worst might be over?

Our findings show the volcano can explain last year's extraordinarily large ozone hole...
Theories that accurately predict future events like this help to prove the theory (at least in my mind). Sort of like stratospheric cooling was predicted and later observed for climate change theories. So very cool.

That was my read from @Bob B's paper too (e.g., minor impact); although if I recollect correctly Bob & I disagreed as I believe he was demonstrating it was proof of natural causes or how crazy the scientists were in predicting a +3°C rise in 2024-2025.

You can probably expect to see this as proof that climate change is from natural causes and not caused by humans before long. ; -)

But, I also take umbridge downplaying the importance in the article as 0.015°C is nothing to sneeze at as that represents around 10% of total warming in 2023. It is a very significant contributor in my opinion and I'm really hoping temperatures do decrease that 0.015°C in 2024/2025. On the up side, it's pretty rare event, the original paper predicted the impact might be as high as 0.035°C, so like the recent almost-Carrington event ... we continue to get lucky?

very informative
Great videos! Thanks for posting!

Opinion: Edison would be so happy. About two minutes in there's a timelapse that shows how cables stretch/contract from heat (I thought it was interesting to observe anyway ; -).

Musk invites UAW to have a vote at Tesla.

Opinion: Yeah, the UAW isn't about to embarrass itself by doing
that and it's a poke at Biden (well deserved IMO). @42OhmsPA -
is this funny, painfully embarrassing, or something totally different?
1717245583290.png

Last edited:
Opinion: Yeah, the UAW isn't about to embarrass itself by doing
that and it's a poke at Biden (well deserved IMO). @42OhmsPA -
is this funny, painfully embarrassing, or something totally different?
I find pretty darn funny...I'll explain why soon.
I have nothing against a good Union that is willing to work with the company, seeing both sides and being reasonable. I really struggle with the unions that seem to solely exist to protect the slugs...
A year or so ago our local union went on strike over contract negotiations, wanted everything and then some... It got pretty bad, corporate was ready to pull tooling and send it S...
The management team came together, roughly 1/4 of the union workforce and kept our plant running the entire time they were striking. No missed shipments, me major scrap, no injuries. It was a lot of fun for me in particular, over the years I've learned just about every department and the intricacies of the equipment so I can run them. (It's my philosophy that I shouldn't boss someone around and tell them how to do their job unless I can do it as well...) That learning paid off, sitting on an upper mezzanine overseeing a machine while upper upper mgmt did the sweat labor because they didn't have a clue how to actually run the equipment.
A few weeks after the strike ended and mgmt really realized what we accomplished with the labor we had vs the union workforce some serious changes were made ... The union employees definitely earned the pay raise they went on strike for....

End off topic story.

China praising is getting ridiculous, but it doesn't surprise one bit as China is the technocratic model that the establishment wants to install worldwide.

China: The World’s First Technate

Technocracy is a system of dictatorial rule based upon the allocation of resources. In 1938, Technocrat Magazine described it as follows:

“Technocracy is the science of social engineering, the scientific operation of the entire social mechanism to produce and distribute goods and services to the entire population.”
Rather like feudalism, resource distribution is controlled by a centralised authority, who mete out access to resources dependent upon the citizen’s behaviour. This is the preferred “social credit” method of population control in China. An increasing number of China’s citizens need a good social credit score in order to access resources and society.

The whole system is administered by central planners within a subordinate policy body to the State Council called the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC). They oversee a data mining, collection and analysis operation on an immense scale.

f8bc126d91a51661fbd611.jpg
China’s National People’s Congress Photo: Xinhua
Without any democratic oversight, technocracy in China stipulates that the people trust the edicts of the technocrats. They are required to believe, or at least publicly state, that decisions are taken in the interest of the general good. If they don’t comply the Technate can use its surveillance systems to identify offenders and punish them for their selfish behaviour.

In its 2014 document Planning A Social Credit System, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) spoke of their intention to “construct a social credit environment of honesty, self-discipline, trustworthiness, and mutual trust.” They announced:

“Our country is currently in a key period of economic and social transformation. Stakeholder entities are more diversified [. . .] the forms of social organization and management are undergoing deep changes. Comprehensively advancing the establishment of a social credit system is an effective method of strengthening societal creditworthiness, promoting mutual trust in society, and reducing social contradictions, and it is an urgent requirement for strengthening and innovating in social governance. [. . .] The establishment of a social credit system is an important foundation for comprehensively implementing the scientific viewpoint of development. [. . .] Accelerating and advancing the establishment of the social credit system is an important precondition for promoting the optimized allocation of resources.”
This is the epitome of technocracy. It is a monoculture where all are subservient to the technocratic state.

There are two arms to the social credit system in China. Both individual citizens and corporations are given a rating based upon the aggregation and analysis of the data collected from their lives and business practices.

Approximately 80% of China’s provinces have rolled out some form of the social credit system. While still in development, individual surveillance and control systems are most pervasive in the cities. People can either be placed on a “blacklist,” limiting their freedoms, or a “redlist” permitting them to engage in society in a manner deemed appropriate by the Technate. Punishments include denial of access to public transport, refused payments, public shaming or restricted employment opportunities.

Nationally, the focus has been on constructing the Corporate Social Credit System (CSCS). Millions of businesses in China are required to demonstrate their commitment to the general good, as defined by the Technate. As long as they do, they will be allowed to prosper. If they don’t obey, they won’t.

For numerous reasons, explored by Prof. Liu Yongmou in the Benefits of Technocracy in China, the Chinese political system lent itself well to the creation of the world’s first Technate:

“In China today, there exists a more favourable attitude toward technocracy than is found elsewhere. [. . .] Insofar as it is scientism applied to politics, the Chinese tend to have a positive attitude toward technocracy. [. . .] Technocracy also fits with the Chinese tradition of elite politics and the ideal, to reference a Confucian phrase, of ‘exalting the virtuous and the capable.’ [. . .] knowledge was more important than the representation of the interests of those being governed. [. . .] Against the background of the Chinese heritage of a long feudal culture, technocracy is a better way to confront social problems than authoritarian politics divorced from technical expertise.”
The WEF, the Trilateral Commission and other G3P think-tanks have encouraged the development needed for the PRC State Council’s NDRC to construct the burgeoning Technate. Foreign investment and an infusion of technology, from the current leading nations of the existing IRBO, has brought China to a position where it will provide the economic, political and cultural impetus for a new world order.

Technocracy, as piloted in China, is now being rolled out globally. Individual sovereignty and freedoms, the claimed moral basis for the current IRBO, are being replaced by a commitment to efficiency and resource management in the interests of the “general good.” In the West, we know this as “sustainable development.”

Such a system is perfect for those who want to wield supreme autocratic power, which is precisely why the G3P have long wished to install technocracy globally. It is the reason why they have assisted the construction of a Technate in China. The new IRBO will be led by the technocrat and they will serve the Global Public-Private Partnership.

China praising is getting ridiculous
aenyc, but you have to admit china with it's billions of people took full advantage of mass production
to pull their people out of the rice patties, and into a air-conditioned offices, with a EVs. in a very short
time frame. :oops: (could be a record book kind of event)

it's a shame if we let them take the lead in new tech....because of our shortsightedness :(

aenyc, but you have to admit china with it's billions of people took full advantage of mass production
to pull their people out of the rice patties, and into a air-conditioned offices, with a EVs. in a very short
time frame. :oops: (could be a record book kind of event)
How did they accomplish that ..... by stealing our technology ..... Most of the companies who did business there lasted just long enough for their proprietary information to be stolen ..... Yeah, it's pretty stupid of them not to figure that out sooner.

The Chinese ARE intelligent, hard working, aggressive people .... and there are a crap load of them .... Seems kinda inevitable how things are going to end up ..... Especially if we let them woo our politicians into the CCP method of controlling the population.

How did they accomplish that ..... by stealing our technology
bob, me I wonder what roll our own paranoia played, could our fear of the deep state(workers unions at the time)
and our efforts to eradicate them in the 60's, 70's and 80's expeditated the manufacturing shift to china?
in the 50's 2/3 of manufacturing jobs were union positions, by 1980 it was down to 18%

Capture597.PNG

Capture604.PNG

Last edited:
very informative
astounding the information out there, if you keep your eyes, ears and mind open.

The video is correct... but somewhat misleading/simplistic in terms as to why those losses exist.

The problem is based in physics, more precisely the Carnot Efficiency. Any energy source that depends on heat for volumetric changes (e.g., steam turbines, gasoline engines, nuclear-steam) has a maximum efficiency that is limited by the operational temperature versus the ambient temperature. That's why non-heat systems (e.g., electric motors, induction, fuel cells) can be more efficient, they are not constrained. It doesn't make a difference how new or old the equipment is, you can never do better than the maximum efficiently (although yes, wear increases friction which decreases efficiency even farther).

Because it's baked into the physics, you pretty much know you can ignore every claim of some "new" ice engine that will revolutionize the world. Not that you can't get some tweaks, for examples diesels are more efficient that ICE and combined cycle gas turbines are even more efficient. But you can't get over the maximum efficiency without raising the operating temperature (which is hard to justify as it not only increases costs and wear, but higher temperatures increase nitrogen reaction rates (note nuclear doesn't "burn" using air so is at least exempt from the nitrogen problem).

But, yeah, the whole "waste" thing is correct... on average for every $4.00 you spend on gas, about $1.00's worth goes towards making the car move and the other $3.00 is waste heat. For every $3.00 worth of coal, you typically get less then $1.00 worth of energy. PR campaigns scare folks about the tyranny of switching away from existing expensive fuels, hiding the fact of how much less they'd pay overall.

This is also one of the frustrating confusions when there's talk about how expensive it is to electrify. Nearly all of plans use the current primary energy as the replacement need, ignoring that those systems are nomically 30% efficient. That is, if not based on a heat cycle (e.g., solar, wind) we only need to replace ~30%. Not all of them of course, for example Master Plan 3 clearly states that is a fundamental flaw in the other plans.

Two back-to-back low pressure systems dominate the Atlantic coast to coast and pump BTUs into the upper atmosphere today. Also lots of Saharan dust which is good news/bad news (it suppresses hurricanes, but without hurricanes the water temperature (hurricane fuel) builds up)
1717330838408.png

Last edited:
Back