diy solar

diy solar

My DIY 60 kW 220 panel setup

Has the OP heard of ground screws? I think you could have saved yourself a lot of money and time, rather than using concrete foundations for your ground mounts.

I've done concrete screws. Is it the same?
I don't think so, I'm talking about metal ground screws, they are $20-$30 each.

1 x Screw Pile Installation Tool SR100 £12
2 x 1.5m Tube for Installation £24
£36 total

You can use a lump hammer with a wooden drift to help the ground screw start to dig into the ground as you both turn it with the short scaffolding tubes - you don't need to insert the thinner tubes at the beginning, you only need them when it's impossible to turn the short tubes by hand.
Once you get most of the screw into the ground, it's extremely hard work pushing the poles around, even with two people, and then you know the ground screw is rock solid.

My installation guide: (Two people are needed)
Use a two feet long masonry drill, to drill a guide hole in the ground - this also helps you find out if there are any stones directly underneath where you intend to put the ground screw. I had to drill in a different place several times while setting up my solar panels, because of stones in the ground.
Then use a drift (piece of wood, placed on top of the ground screw, held by your assistant) which you hit with a lump hammer, then you both turn the ground screw 90 degrees, holding the short tubes of the Screw pile Installation Tool to turn it by hand, then hit the drift again a few times with the lump hammer, then turn the ground screw another 90 degrees, and carry on until you feel the screw is firmly embedded in the ground, and is able to screw itself in as you turn it, with no further need to hit it with a lump hammer! Then you find you can no longer turn the screw with just the short tubes of the Screw Pile Installation Tool, and then you insert the 1.5m tubes, and turn the screw that way, as shown in the video above.
Remember - it's better to leave too much of the screw sticking out and then have to tighten it down a bit, than to screw it in too far, and then have to undo it - I imagine undoing it will make the screw much less reliable, as it will now have a slight 'hole' underneath its end.

Last edited:
Last edited:
When I looked into these in the USA at least it is going to depend on how deep you have to go and soil type. Since my frost line is over 6 feet a single ground screw was going to cost well over $100.

Back