diy solar

diy solar

10 Panels in PV Array Series -- combiner box or disconnect?

40F is still an increase in voltage, since stc is 78F
But it isn't much increased
And you don't wanna use "rarely" as your calculation temp, you want HISTORIC low and subtract a few degrees for crazy weather issues...
Figure 0C for the calculations, aand you should be safe, but I would VERIFY with weather data.
If you figure close to the 250V limit and have it spec for 40, then you hit 30, you are going to fry your inverters...
Oh for sure, I was just throwing out a quick reply to the comment. I am exploring configurations to avoid going anywhere near limit of the inverters.

You could parallel the two sets of 5 (5s2p) into one port of one inverter, but you'd likely be VERY close to the 250v limit when it is cold out.

4s2p into one port (of one inveter) and buy more panels for the other three ports you have left to fill.
Since I have 10 panels would it be safest to build the array in 3 strings of three instead of 2 strings of 4? I can find another use for the past panel or keep it in case of failure or replacement I guess

You'd end up with too many amps that way. The 6548 has been stated to clip at just over 17 amps. Any more than that and you'll waste panels. With the 3s3p you'd end up in the ~25 amp range where 4s2p will be just over 17.

You'd end up with too many amps that way. The 6548 has been stated to clip at just over 17 amps. Any more than that and you'll waste panels. With the 3s3p you'd end up in the ~25 amp range where 4s2p will be just over 17.
It shouldn’t clip at 17A, unless the battery voltage is below 53.2V as the MPPT is only good for 80A once it gets over 53.2V it will handle more PV amps.

So I should stick with a 4S2P array into one of the inverter ports. This would leave me with two leftover panels. Could I do anything with these for my main array/inverters on their own or would I need to pick up additional panels for another 4S?

Out of noob curiosity how are amps calculated for panel input?

So I should stick with a 4S2P array into one of the inverter ports. This would leave me with two leftover panels. Could I do anything with these for my main array/inverters on their own or would I need to pick up additional panels for another 4S?

It clips input if the output exceeds 80A...
So, above 53.2V, 80A output is over 17A input... at the max 250V...

Thanks for your replies but I'm confused now... I'm sorry
Yeah, PV and electrical in general is confusing.

The math is this…
The charge controller will only output 80A to the battery.

The PV input is limited to 250V max

So, you take the charge voltage, and multiply by 80A, to get the max input wattage at the battery voltage,
Then divide that by the PV vmp series voltage you have configured to see what your max wattage input is

Each PV input of the 6548 (and there are two of them) have a max 4000W and 250V input. That comes out to 16A.

It has been shown that the 6548 will take a hair more than that and that is why I said it will clip at just over 17A.

OP, you might get lucky and produce just enough voltage with the two leftover panels in series to get a little bit out of them.

Each PV input of the 6548 (and there are two of them) have a max 4000W and 250V input. That comes out to 16A.

It has been shown that the 6548 will take a hair more than that and that is why I said it will clip at just over 17A.

OP, you might get lucky and produce just enough voltage with the two leftover panels in series to get a little bit out of them.
That would be 80A at 50V charging… but at higher battery voltage, the wattage input should go up. The limit is on the output amperage.
Yes, you will only get 4000W 16 amps at 50V charging voltage, but at 53.2 and higher battery voltage, the wattage will go up.
3.4V/cell would be 56V, so at that voltage, the controller can take 4480W, IF the BATTERY is large enough to pull that much at that charge level…

You should always overpanel so at lower irradiance levels, you get a more consistent charging for more of the day… sure, clipping will occur… that is fine.

Two inverters with two MPPT's each?
If you want to do all 10 panels and no more, you can:
2 strings of 3
1 string of 4
You could even put each string to a dedicated MPPT or use a combiner on the two 3s strings.

Two inverters with two MPPT's each?
If you want to do all 10 panels and no more, you can:
2 strings of 3
1 string of 4
You could even put each string to a dedicated MPPT or use a combiner on the two 3s strings.
For the foreseeable future, yes 10 panels in total. I think the combination of the 10 panels and battery storage I am going to build will be sufficient for a long time for my situation.

I am planning on connecting them to have 240V split phase. Does that interfere with the usage of each MPPT to accomadate all the panels?

Each LV6548 has 2 MPPT's.

You can run 3S strings to 3 of the MPPT's. Order 2 more panels for total of 12 and you can run 3S to the remaining MPPT. The 1 panel alone probably will not work with the remaining MPPT by itself.

Each LV6548 has 2 MPPT's.

You can run 3S strings to 3 of the MPPT's. Order 2 more panels for total of 12 and you can run 3S to the remaining MPPT. The 1 panel alone probably will not work with the remaining MPPT by itself.
Resurrecting this older thread because of the recent release of EG4's 6000XP which has higher max input ( i'm pretty sure ).

I know these are brand new but the onboard features and power ratings seem like a REALLY good reason to try and unload my LV6548s and snatch 1-2 of these instead.

If I were to purchase these would I be able to actually wire my panels 10s or should I go with 5s2p instead?

Resurrecting this older thread because of the recent release of EG4's 6000XP which has higher max input ( i'm pretty sure ).

I know these are brand new but the onboard features and power ratings seem like a REALLY good reason to try and unload my LV6548s and snatch 1-2 of these instead.

If I were to purchase these would I be able to actually wire my panels 10s or should I go with 5s2p instead?
10s is going to be too much for the 480 max voltage of the 6000XP, you could run 2, 5 in series strings in to each MPPT input on 6000XP and be within specs with those panels.

LV6548 is 6500W per leg on a pair in split phase.

The 6000XP is rated at 3000W per leg. A pair would still be rated less.

I would not purchase a newly released inverter until the bugs are worked out. The 6000XP has been beta tested but I would not be in a hurry to purchase just yet. Many here have learned that lesson. Latest and greatest until the honeymoon is over.

5S2P on the 6000XP would be over 17A. Even if the MPPT just clips the amps, it actually is a waste of PV power, some say to do it because the power is spread thru the day but it still wastes power. With the 2 EG4 MPPT's I have installed, I can pull full available PV from the array and it goes into my battery bank until 100% SOC.

If the LV6548's are working fine, I'd just add a pair of EG4 MPPT's like I did for higher string voltage if you are after higher string voltage for a reason. Later, if you decide you want to add more PV, then you could purchase panels that fit the LV6548 MPPT's better and use the MPPT's in the LV6548's.

In all respects, if you have 10 panels, just run 3S into 3 of the LV6548 MPPT's. You end up with an extra panel, not a big deal. Or run 4S into 2 MPPT's and 2S into a 3rd MPPT.

Only reason my string voltage is high is due to the distance from array to MPPT. I have no idea why you would want to change inverters.

LV6548 is 6500W per leg on a pair in split phase.

The 6000XP is rated at 3000W per leg. A pair would still be rated less.

I would not purchase a newly released inverter until the bugs are worked out. The 6000XP has been beta tested but I would not be in a hurry to purchase just yet. Many here have learned that lesson. Latest and greatest until the honeymoon is over.

5S2P on the 6000XP would be over 17A. Even if the MPPT just clips the amps, it actually is a waste of PV power, some say to do it because the power is spread thru the day but it still wastes power. With the 2 EG4 MPPT's I have installed, I can pull full available PV from the array and it goes into my battery bank until 100% SOC.

If the LV6548's are working fine, I'd just add a pair of EG4 MPPT's like I did for higher string voltage if you are after higher string voltage for a reason. Later, if you decide you want to add more PV, then you could purchase panels that fit the LV6548 MPPT's better and use the MPPT's in the LV6548's.

In all respects, if you have 10 panels, just run 3S into 3 of the LV6548 MPPT's. You end up with an extra panel, not a big deal. Or run 4S into 2 MPPT's and 2S into a 3rd MPPT.

Only reason my string voltage is high is due to the distance from array to MPPT. I have no idea why you would want to change inverters.

Amazingly helpful! Thanks so much Zwy ?

Reactions: Zwy
Back