diy solar

diy solar

A solar power system inside the sub-trunk of an SUV.

cybertronicify

IMG_0712.jpeg

Whats inside:
2x Renogy Self Heating 100AH LFP
1x Renogy 60A DCDC Charger
1x Victron MultiPlus 2000/12/80
1x Victron 30A AC DC Charger
1x Victron Orion 18A 12-12 DCDC Converter
1x Victron Smart MPPT 75/15
1x Victron Smart Shunt
1x Victron MultiControl Panel
1x Weboost
1x Midland 15W GMRS Radio
1x Fenix Typhoon PA/Siren
1x ARB 12v Twin Compressor

There are Solar Hookups hidden under the car, along with a generator/shore inlet and external 120v power out.

Oversized cables due to the temperatures this system needs to endure. 130F Ambient in the summer, and -10F in the winter.

The car is a Hybrid, so this system is running off the 288v Traction Battery via its 150A DCDC Converter.

For Cooling, there are three blower fans that force cabin air into the sub-trunk. It then either leave the car from the bumper vents, or goes into the cabin again with the trunk vents.

What do yall think?

I would be concerned about the Orion TR setting on the Inverter. The Orion TR's put out a significant amount of heat ,,, sometimes too hot to touch with a bare hand.

I would be concerned about the Orion TR setting on the Inverter. The Orion TR's put out a significant amount of heat ,,, sometimes too hot to touch with a bare hand.
Great catch! Its actually on the Renogy DCDC Charger to go from the Starter Battery to AUX battery. The Orion is just a reverse charger to charge the Start Battery from the AUX. Both will never be on at the same time. The heatsink on the Orion is thermally coupled to the Renogy DCDC Charger. Airflow in this subtrunk is quite high. I built it to withstand 130F Ambient temperatures in the California Desert.

That is compact, I like it! What kind of vehicle is it? I wanted to do the 20 DC/DC, but my CR-V's alternator isn't compatible. 60A DC/DC is massive.

View attachment 194905

Whats inside:
2x Renogy Self Heating 100AH LFP
1x Renogy 60A DCDC Charger
1x Victron MultiPlus 2000/12/80
1x Victron 30A AC DC Charger
1x Victron Orion 18A 12-12 DCDC Converter
1x Victron Smart MPPT 75/15
1x Victron Smart Shunt
1x Victron MultiControl Panel
1x Weboost
1x Midland 15W GMRS Radio
1x Fenix Typhoon PA/Siren
1x ARB 12v Twin Compressor

There are Solar Hookups hidden under the car, along with a generator/shore inlet and external 120v power out.

Oversized cables due to the temperatures this system needs to endure. 130F Ambient in the summer, and -10F in the winter.

The car is a Hybrid, so this system is running off the 288v Traction Battery via its 150A DCDC Converter.

For Cooling, there are three blower fans that force cabin air into the sub-trunk. It then either leave the car from the bumper vents, or goes into the cabin again with the trunk vents.

What do yall think?
That's awesome!!! I've always wanted to do this to a hybrid vehicle. Or ev. How long have you been running it? What kind of loads have you run?

Back