diy solar

diy solar

About to build a new rooftop/patio cover system

Homthtrnut

I'm new to the game and following the advice of a fellow retired coworker. He recommended using the iq8+ microinverters so in starting my parts gathering process I bought a case of them on eBay for a decent price. I found out today that iq8+ can be used with only 13 panels per group. So with that in mind my plan is to grab one more case and three singles and then build three groups of 13 panels. Iq8+ peak output is 300, continuous 290, so if I'm using 400 watt panels that should be a close enough match given the high summer temps here in Las Vegas. 400watts is in ideal 74-77 degrees so I should expect at worst 320 average or so output. I'm also planning on a combiner box with envoy and three circuits, a fused shut off box, and the unit that communicates with the phone app. By my rough calculations I should be able to produce 11.3kW. Am I on the right track?

That's why I joined this forum. I'm learning something every day. Watching Justin on YouTube kind of gave me a push. It's crazy that there are so many different ways you can go. So many different opinions too. I'm in no rush

Am I on the right track?

Depends on what you want the system to do.

Grid-tie net metering?
You'll need city permit for install and permission to operate from the utility company.
Somebody else can tell you how Nevada net metering is these days. (I'm in California, which is very renewables unfriendly, and net metering sucks.)

Those microinverters could be the easiest way to make a compliant grid-tie system.

Will you want power when the grid is down, a.k.a. battery backup?
You may have painted yourself into a corner with IQ8. Enphase offers a backup system, but I'm not sure anybody has made IQ8 work with alternate, possibly less expensive, battery solutions. IQ7 is commonly used that way. Price out the Enphase offering.

Lowest cost battery backup may be a batteries-optional hybrid string inverter.
String inverters generally require all PV panels wired in series to be of same orientation (unlike Enphase, which can be anything.)

My advice is design your entire future system and price it out before committing to a given path.

Back