diy solar

diy solar

Adding to a string with shading

Sterling9250

I have a string of four solar panels in series that gets shading in the afternoon. I want to add four more panels to the string in series. The existing shaded string is closest to the inverter. The four new panels will be ground mounted, and will get no shading (it will be directly connected to the existing string in series). Do I need to worry about the shading effects on this string addition of four panels? In other words, with the shaded panels have any impact on the four new panels that will get no shade?

I cannot parallel these as the amps would exceed my inverter. I can’t run these independently either because I don’t have a spare MPPT input.

My guess is no effect. I’m thinking the bypass diode will simply bypass some or all of the solar panels and shade.

Last edited:
All should be same orientation. If different, consider parallel not series, but check max allowed current.
If same orientation, series should work as you're thinking. Check max voltage, adjusted for cold.

However, if some panels would be in direct sun, not off angle, while others are shaded, the problem is bypass diode may not be able to take full current continuously. Some panels, the diode will overheat and melt/crack the panel.

Also look up inverter efficiency vs. PV voltage (which may vary depending on AC voltage if more than one supported.)
The difference between 98% and 99% efficient is 2 to 1 power dissipation and temperature rise, affecting inverter reliability.

Back