diy solar

diy solar

Advice for Surge Protection on Ground Mount with Multiple Arrays?

Turkey Hollow Solar

Hi Everyone,

We're finishing up a 14.6kW ground mount installation with 38 Adani Bifacial modules on three separate Nuance Osprey ground mounts and using APSystems DS3-L microinverters.

My question is about surge protection. I'm planning to add surge protection to the system, probably with a surge protector on each of the three arrays (1 is 2x7 for 14 modules, and 2 are 2x6 for 12 modules each). Each ground mount has separate ground rods, and all is tied together with the EGC's.

The systems is setup with Square D loadcenters and breakers, so my first thought is to use Square D surge protectors like these:

However, I see that a lot of solar installers use the Midnight Solar units like this one:

Can anyone help me understand performance differences between these units? Cost and hookup are about the same.

Is one a better choice for a ground mount solar array?

Thanks!

Midnite's warranty is 5 years.. The Square D one only 18 months. I personally use the Midnite ones on my ground mount (but for DC since not using micro inverters)

Currently leaning toward the Midnight Solar SPD's...after checking out some videos, they seem like the experts in the space.

Anyone have other ideas for the best device to use for ground mount arrays?

Does anyone have a favorite surge protection device for ground mount arrays with microinverters?

Microinverters are a different situation. You don't have a large array possibly picking up induced current by lightning, only a single panel.
Hope the microinverter has sufficient DC surge arrestor built in. If not, I could imagine one with four MC connectors, but not aware of any.

Then there is the AC side. Primary concern is what transmission lines pick up. AC surge arrestor (e.g. Midnight, Square D, others) in main electrical panel should take care of that.

We're finishing up a 14.6kW ground mount installation with 38 Adani Bifacial modules on three separate Nuance Osprey ground mounts and using APSystems DS3-L microinverters.

My question is about surge protection. I'm planning to add surge protection to the system, probably with a surge protector on each of the three arrays (1 is 2x7 for 14 modules, and 2 are 2x6 for 12 modules each). Each ground mount has separate ground rods, and all is tied together with the EGC's.

That does say microinverters. So no protection per array on DC side.
If AC has multiple breakers for the various microinverters, then one SPD per breaker would also be an option. That could have the benefit that SPD is on same breaker as inverters, so won't be disconnected while inverters are connected to grid.

But even then, SPD like Midnight disconnect internally if they fail shorted. An LED is your indication if they are protecting or failed/disconnected.

Back