diy solar

diy solar

Advice on 240V inverter for booster pump

oldnomad

Background: I live out in the country and utility power goes out often. Eventually looking to install ground mount system with batteries but not in the budget at the moment.

Main panel feeds: well pump, booster pump and house sub panel. main panel to sub panel distance = 300ft

I have a 10,000W 240v 50a generator that powers my home when the power is out via a manual transfer switch.

I have a water tank that can supply the house for a few days so don't need to run the deep well pump in an emergency outage.

I would like to run the booster pump so we have water at the house when the power is out.

Here's what I'm thinking and budget is the priority at the moment.

booster pump = 1hp, 230V 6a - I'm assuming a 1500W inverter would be sufficient. 6a is the only listed amperage on the pump so is that the max it would surge?

The pump runs for less than a minute at a time and not very often under normal use.

Can I use a 1500W inverter with 240V output, a charge controller, battery and solar. Can I put a manual transfer switch in between and just run the pump full time off the solar. If cost is the driver and the power goes out maybe 20 times a year should I just buy an additional cheap generator? can I use (2) 120V legs from either an inverter or generator to power a 240V motor?

Would love any thoughts, suggestions, alternative ideas.

Make and model of your Booster pump? Also be aware that many 230v inverters being sold are not split phase but are single phase. This can work if they are also 60hz but many are European standard 230vAC at 50hz.

If using PV you might consider a split phase AIO, or units that can be stacked to give the 240vAC output. With the AIO you have a Auto transfer switch, SCC, battery charger, Inverter and a lot of things that can be set in terms of operation modes. If this is dedicated for pump operation you might also consider going the route of an LF AIO. There are dedicated AIO's designed to just run a pump from PV.

Anyway lots of options.

Make and model of your Booster pump? Also be aware that many 230v inverters being sold are not split phase but are single phase. This can work if they are also 60hz but many are European standard 230vAC at 50hz.

If using PV you might consider a split phase AIO, or units that can be stacked to give the 240vAC output. With the AIO you have a Auto transfer switch, SCC, battery charger, Inverter and a lot of things that can be set in terms of operation modes. If this is dedicated for pump operation you might also consider going the route of an LF AIO. There are dedicated AIO's designed to just run a pump from PV.

Anyway lots of options.
Any recommendation on brands or marketplaces for AIOs designed for pumps?

There is a lot of either AIO or LF inverter chargers you could choose from. Prices vary quite a bit. I have never tried a split phase unit myself so I can not give a personal recommendation. You might start looking at places like Signature solar, Current connected, Watts247.

An example of a split phase AIO could be this EG4 one at SS that would run your pump and much more. https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-6k-off-grid-inverter-6000ex-48hv/

Likely others will chime in on what works for them.

I have a water tank that can supply the house for a few days so don't need to run the deep well pump in an emergency outage.

I would like to run the booster pump so we have water at the house when the power is out.

Here's what I'm thinking and budget is the priority at the moment.

booster pump = 1hp, 230V 6a - I'm assuming a 1500W inverter would be sufficient. 6a is the only listed amperage on the pump so is that the max it would surge?

The pump runs for less than a minute at a time and not very often under normal use.
Are are talking about a booster pump from the tank to the house.
If so, 1HP is probably far more than you need.

That 6A running watts would be just under 1500W, but starting watts can easily exceed 14,000W...
No way on earth a 1500W inverter could start any 1440W motor load...

Well... you might be able to with a GOOD LF inverter with a 2 minute triple surge output ability... if the motor has a good soft start accessory, or it is an inverter driven 3 phase motor...

Grundfoss scala2 is expensive, but its a regular 120v plug, is variable speed to match load, super soft start, pumps tons of water, it can also be turned down to use less power and less noise.
Its tankless, but I added a small tank to keep it from cycling when I only use a tiny bit of water to wash hands ect.

I wouldnt have bought one at their price, but was so impressed by one in a camp at work that I was sold.

I bet a 1000w inverter generator would start it no problem.

Back