diy solar

diy solar

Advice on slate roof solar panel fixings if stripping slates off from the top to enable proper refixing

Chadd

Good afternoon from Mullion Cove Cornwall.

We have six 360 w panels facing south, mounted on balcony railings and one facing west.

Another six 415 w JA Solar have arrived, we do not wish to mount on the main house roof, as the South facing part is a loft conversion mostly flat roof.

The remaining part of the slate roof is large enough for panels mounted horizontally, but having only recently re-slated it and re-fixed the ridge tiles, I do not wish to hack into it.

Also the weight factor due to the size of beam used, at the boundary between what is left of the slate roof and the flat roof section.

So my radio workshop also has a slate roof, the ridge tiles are loose and require re-cementing.

It would therefore be possible to strip back the slates from the top, so that after fitting the brackets and any device such as the one pictured to cover the bracket had been installed, the slates could be refitted with their proper fixing nails rather than spring things or glue.

We do not wish to go for in roof or new build type installs, as I have seen the plastic device, and also all the places where the slates have to be flashed where they meet it.

This was on an installation at our local hotel that I watched.

The advice we are after is a recommendation as to the best replacement device that covers the bracket, and the type of bracket to use for slate roofs?

Most I have seen come with these clip or spring devises, to hold the slates that had to be removed via slate ripper and cannot be nailed back.

Stripping the roof off from the top down to the brackets should enable us to nail all slates back property.

The Workshop roof is not that large the same width as the garage beneath it, but just large enough to take the panels.

Thank you for your time : )

God Bless Chadd

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Talk to a roofer. He can advise on an attachment solution that will be waterproof.
I replied to another guy that has a similar situation but with a metal tile roof. There are different types of roofing materials but roof penetrations are standard….. vent pipes and vents….. and solar systems use brackets and mounts that are familiar to roofing contractors.

Back