diy solar

diy solar

Any reason I can't use Generac HomeLink transfer switches on solar?

stewart24601

So I am trying to avoid grid tie for three reasons: 1. With net metering gone you only get paid half rate for power you send out, 2. Anytime you have to do maintenance or repair on the tied part of the system you have to involve the utility company, and 3. Making this affordable means doing it myself - which ties back into 2 because I am confident in my work past the service disconnect but prefer not to do any work before it.

Background, I have rewired my entire home before - including new service - so very familiar with residential code including service panels and sub panels but have never worked with a transfer switch before.

I want to be able to install a large enough inverter to handle the entire home and then add batteries and panels as I can afford them until I have enough to run the entire house.

My thought is to have two 200 amp panels, one to the grid and one to the solar/battery system. Each panel will have only 240v breakers 50-Amp and 30-Amp running to a series of four to six Generac 9854 and Generac 6853 transfer switches into which I will move all the breakers for the house. This will allow me to switch over more to the solar as I add more panels to it and also to switch some load back to grid if I need more power or have to shut the solar down for repairs.

Anybody have experience using these switches this way - putting the entire house on a set of them - or know of any reason this wouldn't work?

So I am trying to avoid grid tie for three reasons: 1. With net metering gone you only get paid half rate for power you send out, 2. Anytime you have to do maintenance or repair on the tied part of the system you have to involve the utility company, and 3. Making this affordable means doing it myself - which ties back into 2 because I am confident in my work past the service disconnect but prefer not to do any work before it.

Points (2) and (3) are pretty misinformed. Most grid tie systems are load side connections. I have 4 solar backfeed breakers several subpanels down from my service disconnect. Almost everyone here who has installed and maintained their own (with permits) can do everything legally without involving the POCO. Only the initial interconnection involves POCO, and typically that is applying for interconnection, adjusting equipment as needed based on the review, and then forwarding the finaled inspection to them to grant PTO.

Regarding the transfer switch, I’m not familiar with those , if you can link or screenshot some relevant pages that would help. Off hand I would be suspicious of auto load shed working, but a dumb transfer switch is probably fine

Back