diy solar

diy solar

Anyone have one of these? Is this my dump load heating solution?

mvonw

Solar Addict
I've been eyeing these..

I have a lot of periodic excess solar, and this seemed like a painless way to harness them for my power shack to keep my equipment/batteries warm and give me a warmer place to work..

Last edited:
I've been eying these..

I have a lot of periodic excess solar, and this seemed like a painless way to harness them for my power shack to keep my equipment/batteries warm and give me a warmer place to work..

Never seen anything like that. Looks very interesting.

It would arguably be more efficient to use surplus PV to run a heat pump, but storage is the issue.

The smallest unit indicates 13.5kWh of storage. Curious how long it can store that.

While trying to find pricing on that, found this:

User manual: https://www.electricalworld.com/Images/Manuals/Elnur-HHR-User-Manual.pdf

I can't get past the displeasure of electric resistance heat, but it looks very interesting - more so if the alternative is to lose the energy to floating batteries. :)

There are a few discussions about heating a 55 gallon barrel with cheap hot water heating elements. Here is one that i like:

Those units, or something very similar were quite popular back in the 1970s. They used off peak electricity to heat a thermal mass. Yes, we had off peak electricity in the 1970s but it had a different name back then.

Back