diy solar

diy solar

Anyone Pass inspection with home built EVE 280AH batteries and JK200ABMS on shelf next to Sol-Ark inverter?

12kw_2021

I have 32 Grade A EVE 280Ah batteries on a shelf next to my Sol-Ark in basement, with 12kW of PV on the AC couple Gen pins. I added my batteries to the mix, AFTER I passed my PV install inspection, and got my permit to operate from the local electric supplier.

I am now considering adding some PV capacity, and perhaps another 16 EVE cells to my mix, and I am concerned about what my local inspector may say about the batteries sitting happily on a shelf next to my solark.

I have them directly connected to the 15k Sol-ark, as it has DC circuit breaker, so no Class T fuse between Sol-ark and Battery.. and this has been discussed with Sol-ark and they agree it is a safe install.

I saw the thread on how someone in Washington State was forced to remove some rack batteries as the inspector refused to pass unless he saw UL stickers directly on each battery.

I also so replies in that thread that stated that "most" inspectors will accept a document from the vendor that indicates the installed battery cells are "UL Listed", and that is the feedback from the 18650 battery store, Yes, Grade A EVE 280Ah batteries are UL listed.

Has anyone had a local building inspector observe bare cells with busbars on a shelf, and not have a heart attack and fail fail fail the install?

Just curious and hope some folks reply with feedback.. My system works well, and I would like to avoid going backwards with an attempted upgrade, and an inspection fail

Thanks in advance, and sorry for being so long winded

Disconnect the wire, put a door on the shelf. No longer a concern if not hooked up and they're there to inspect something else anyway.
I have thought of this approach. I may just disconnect and roll the entire shelf to a non visible location.

Still curious if anyone has had a local inspection approve a home build lifep04 battery. I assume folks in the past had cases where lead acid batteries (more dangerous and prone to acid damage or hydrogen explosion) approved just sitting on a shelf.

Thank you for the reply

Yes, but lithium bad, lithium burn, see Tesla car fires!

To so many, "lithium is lithium" ignoring the major differences. Which is why my little box with a pair of button cell batteries had a huge "DANGER LITHIUM BATTERIES" sticker plastered on it :rolleyes:

Still curious if anyone has had a local inspection approve a home build lifep04 battery.
That’s going to entirely depend on the AHJ and the actual inspector who shows up (and what kind of a day (s)he is having). Either find them, talk to them, and see what they’ll accept or roll the dice and take your chances.

Note that your HO insurance may refuse to pay up if a fire uncovers “hazardous” batteries, even if they had nothing to do with the fire. So there’s another reason to get the inspector to sign off. 🤷‍♂️

I thought long and hard about installing LifeP04 batteries next to a cement wall in my basement. I even had a discussion on the subject with the owner of the forum .

Will stated that in his opinion, "if wired correctly a set of Lifep04 batteries on a shelf is about as dangerous as a stack of firewood."

I have a wood stove in the living portion of my basement, and consider that a much higher risk, and I have never ever seen a documented case of an insurance company denying a claim because there was some appliance or battery present that was not "inspected".

The batteries are UL listed, and I am comfortable with my choices... but as I have stated before I grew up when you rode bikes without helmets, and sat in closed door conference rooms filled with cigarette smoke.

regards

I thought long and hard about installing LifeP04 batteries next to a cement wall in my basement. I even had a discussion on the subject with the owner of the forum .

Will stated that in his opinion, "if wired correctly a set of Lifep04 batteries on a shelf is about as dangerous as a stack of firewood."

I have a wood stove in the living portion of my basement, and consider that a much higher risk, and I have never ever seen a documented case of an insurance company denying a claim because there was some appliance or battery present that was not "inspected".

The batteries are UL listed, and I am comfortable with my choices... but as I have stated before I grew up when you rode bikes without helmets, and sat in closed door conference rooms filled with cigarette smoke.

regards
Don’t get me wrong, I was just pointing out the potential downsides. All of my stuff is in a concrete building separate from the concrete house, so I’m not at all concerned. 😁

I’ll be interested to hear an update if You don’t move them in regards to what they say

Back