diy solar

diy solar

Bass Boat 24-36V Trolling Motor Application

JPW-1995

Trying to find SOK batteries but hard to find. In the past I have used Battle Born, but they are expensive. Would love to have a list of lithium batteries that you have tested and reviewed that can be put in series up to 24 or 36V. What brands have you tested that you would deem reliable and built with quality that fit this market niche? Looking for value. To me, as a mechanical engineer, it makes no sense to buy Battle Born if SOK or other less expensive brands are similar in quality and durability. Do you have brands you recommend based on your testing and inspections?

Trying to find SOK batteries but hard to find. In the past I have used Battle Born, but they are expensive. Would love to have a list of lithium batteries that you have tested and reviewed that can be put in series up to 24 or 36V. What brands have you tested that you would deem reliable and built with quality that fit this market niche? Looking for value. To me, as a mechanical engineer, it makes no sense to buy Battle Born if SOK or other less expensive brands are similar in quality and durability. Do you have brands you recommend based on your testing and inspections?

Check out Wills youtube videos. Tons of battery reviews.

I was just thinking about tearing down my 24v diy pack and turning it into two 12V batteries for my boat and then building a new pack for the cabin.

LiTime. And they make batteries in different voltages so you don't have to connect several in series to get 24, 36, or 48 volt.

Last edited:
The main challenge with water related use is wave action / vibration.

The most vibration resistant cells are going to by cylindrical LiFe types AFAIK.

So that is really the difference between BB and SOK in my mind, plus there are some differences in charge and discharge rates and the BMS operational details.

The place to start is to look at your trolling motor specs and see how much current draw they have, as well as if you want to charge faster or slower or if it does not matter.

For a trolling motor application, where there is fairly high , but steady draw for quite a while, I would run them at not more than 50% of continuous rating at max motor speed, no matter the battery but of course that adds to the cost structure.

I have quite a bit of experience with the BBs and really zero issues in my testing and interactions, but as you note, this does come at a price. All of this was in 24 and 48 volt use and they stayed balanced between each other even after a couple of years. ( I charged each one up front individually)

There are also some really powerful 48 volt trolling motors out there now in case that is interesting.

Back