diy solar

diy solar

Battery parameters for OFF grid

TheName

Hello everyone,

I’m sorry for asking this question which is probably already answered, my lack of knowledge about this topic and too much information, lack of battery datasheet confuse me a lot so I have to ask it in the hope, that someone with more experience can give me advice (if required I can pay).

My OFF Grid 8kW solar system includes:
8x JINKO Solar panel 315W
1x Sole Uni Max MPPT 8000VA-48V
4x LIFePo4 12.8V-200Ahm lithium-ion battery, 2560WH
Battery balancer

Connected devices:
Fridge (all day), TV, boiler (which is turned ON only over day), mobile/laptops charger, couple of bulbs

What would be the best stability and long live parameters for my batteries?
Right now I use battery type = User with default parameters and I'm scared that I may brake something with it (read long story).

When this type is selected according to the manual I Can change the 26, 27, and 29 options.

05 - Battery type = User
Available - AGM, Flooded, User, Pylon, Weco, Soltaro, Lib, Lic

26Bulk charging voltage (C.V voltage) = 56.4V (default!)
Posible range – 48V to 62

27Floating charging voltage54V (default!)
Possible range – 48V to 62V

29Low DC cut-off voltage44V (default!)
Possible range: 42V to 48V

Should I maybe follow Will Prowse's suggestion in this thread?
48V 16S LiFePO4 Battery w/ BMS
Absorption: 58V (for long live 56.4V)
Float: 54.4V
Inverter Cut-off: 42.8V-48V

Long story if someone wants to know why do I ask this:
I ordered the OFF Grid 8kW system and it was installed by the dealer. I tough it will be “good to go” but it was not.
The dealer told me the battery came at 100%, and when he connected it, they were at 50% according to the inverter.
The first night after installation I spent 25% off the battery and the next morning I had fault 04 (low battery).
That sunny day battery did charge to ~50/55% and again overnight I spent 25% off the battery.
On the next sunny day battery did charge from 25% to 80%, but after using a 1600w vacuum cleaner for only 10 minutes (while solar panels were producing ~400W) battery went from 80% to 49%.

As the dealer doesn't answer calls I checked settings and accidentally (at night) changed "Battery type" to "user". After a couple of minutes in WatchPower App, the battery status showed from 50% to 80%, according to the app overnight I spend around 10-15% of the battery and the battery gets charged really fast to 100% over the day.
But I'm scared if this is fine for my system as I don't want to overkill anything and reduce the life of components.

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Have you seen these two threads yet? (Edit: Looks like you already saw the first link below, check out the second one too)

and:

You need the battery specs of your batteries and then surf through your settings and enter parameters accordingly

You need the battery specs of your batteries and then surf through your settings and enter parameters accordingly
I found specs on the hidden side of the battery. Unfotunatly I can't find more detaild info online.

Specs.jpeg

I have 4 batteries connected in serial, but unfortunatly I still don't know what should be safe to set up.

Parameters:
26 - Bulk charging voltage = 58.4V (=4x14.6V (Number of batteries x Charging Voltage of each battery))
Possible range - 48V to 62V
Default - 56.4V (currently set)

27 - Floating charging voltage = I Don't know how to calculate this!
Possible range - 48V to 62V
Default - 54V (currently set)

29 - Low DC Cut-off voltage = I Don't know how to calculate this!
Possible range - 42V to 48V
Default - 44V (currently set)

You should find specific charging information for your batteries if they don’t have any you should avoid those batteries. You need to know information about the BMS parameters like when cell equalization starts, high and low cell disconnect is. Here is a chart from a cell manufacture (yours may very slightly). Most people avoid charging and discharging very far into the curves at either end of the graph. Capacity wise there is not much at the very ends but that is where the battery is stressed at. Unlike other chemistry’s they prefer to be at 50%. The trade off is the more you stay out of the ends ( knees) the less usable capacity you have.
Voltage alone is not a good representation of state of charge (SOC). Most inverters like yours is only using voltage to represent SOC. You need something to measure the current in and out of the battery. Most people use a shunt.

Attachments

• 56505650-E2A0-40B9-95FC-3AA124E5967C.png
    56505650-E2A0-40B9-95FC-3AA124E5967C.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
A wee clarity correction, You have a 2KW system NOT an 8KW system.. it is measured at the solar panels, not inverter or batteries.
( 8 x 315W =2,520 Watts or 2.5kW).

26Bulk charging voltage (C.V voltage) = 56.4V (default!)
use 55.0V (3.4375 Volts per cell) Top of Working Voltage Curve which is 3.000-3.400Volts per cell.

27Floating charging voltage54V (default!)
use 54.8V (3.425 Volts per cell) as Float is Variable Current this will allow the cells to "Saturate" to that voltage.

29Low DC cut-off voltage44V (default!)
40.0V = 2.500 Volts per cell which is "absolute 0% SOC"
Use 44.0V (2.750 Volts per cell) this will allow for short deep draws if Battery is low but still within Safe Zone.

NEVER EVER EQUALIZE ! That is for Lead Acid Chemistries NOT anything Lithium Based.

Your EndAmps/TailCurrent is 10A.

For your reference info, from a resource I have posted here, there is more useful information within that doc which is a good basic reference. Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide
1654437175996.png1654437302831.png

Back