diy solar

diy solar

Best way to manage excess power? MPPT or PV Inverter?

Bluepr0

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to set up a solar installation with the following equipment:

- Around 8kW peak solar panels
- 2x Victron Multiplus II 5kW
- 1x Victron Cerbo GX
- 1x Victron Smart Shunt
- 2x LifePO4 DIY batteries (16 cells in series, 13.4kWh each, both in parallel for a total of ~26.8kWh)
- Either Victron MPPTs or PV Inverter (this is the actual question)

My goal is to produce as much energy as possible and not let the system throttle, meaning I will be producing all the energy the panels can offer and either be sending it to the batteries, some loads, or back to the grid.

My question is if I should use Victron's MPPTs or a PV Inverter like the Fronius Primo. (or the new Fronius Primo GEN24 that can actually directly charge the battery too)

I'm sure I'm missing some important information so please bear with me, really looking forward to your opinions and ideas! Thanks <3

Last edited:
- x2 LifePO4 DIY batteries (16 cells in series, 13.4kWh each, both in parallel for a total of ~26.8kWh)
- Either Victron MPPTs or PV Inverter (this is the actual question)
What's the max amp rating of the battery?

Seems like two cells in parallel wouldn't have the amp capacity to support two 5k? Inverters at max.

Edit to say...10K/50v comes out to 100 amps.

What's the max amp rating of the battery?

Seems like two cells in parallel wouldn't have the amp capacity to support two 5k? Inverters at max.

Edit to say...10K/50v comes out to 100 amps.
Batteries are 280Ah with a standard charge/discharge current of 0.5C, so should be ok as each Victron Multiplus II is able to charge batteries at 70A (without any MPPT or PV Inverter I mean)

Any ideas or input from experts will be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

Both have their pros and cons.
Do you think with both devices am I able to produce all the energy my panels can create?. I wasn't sure if I'm able to configure the inverters so they request all the energy from the MPPTs and send it to the grid if the battery is full and there's no loads

Back