diy solar

diy solar

Buying solar panels and Inverter -look for deals

b.james

Just a note on buying solar panels . Check all your localities . Craigslist and Gumtree seem pretty good . Add any more you know about here if you would .

I found 22 unused panels of 265 watts each and a Solax 5Kw Inverter unused All brand new for AUD $500 all up. With some used mounting hardware . When I checked the inverter it had zero hours on it.
The deals are out there now ,you just have to look.42219100_2220464844891222_906536659812614144_n.jpg

Near me there are several solar clearing houses that list 250 to 375watt panels under 200 each... new.

There's quite a few installers selling 2nd hand panels on ebay in Australia. Fine if you are in their city but not so much if you aren't. $80 for a 300 watt panel isn't unusual if you can pick up. If you have to get them on a pallet and sent 1000km, not so much.

For what ever reason 2nd hand solar is pretty rare in my area, on gumtree and the recycling shop at the tip. I know stuff is being replaced / upgraded so when it all goes is anyone's guess.

I bought used solar panels and I highly recommend them.
In Northern California, I paid $90 per 315 watt panel.
If you can pick up locally there really is no reason not to go with someones previously discarded panels. The panels I purchased are probably outputting ~90% of a brand new panel at 3x the cost.

I bought used solar panels and I highly recommend them.
In Northern California, I paid $90 per 315 watt panel.
If you can pick up locally there really is no reason not to go with someones previously discarded panels. The panels I purchased are probably outputting ~90% of a brand new panel at 3x the cost.
Did you get those from the place in Campbell?

I recently bought 3 new Sunpower 335W panels (each 24V nominal) about 2 weeks ago for $400 USD (~$133 each), locally on Craiglist (Central Florida); 8 mile drive, local pick-up. Each panel is just smaller than the size of a sheet of plywood. Panels intended for residential grid-tie use, but I'm using them for off-grid instead. Very happy with them so far.

Tested them in series last weekend (110 - 115V DC, 866 Watts peak/ 1,005 Watts rated = ~86% (~32A@27V DC), ~4.5kW total for the day, manual tracking, partly cloudy in 90F (32C) humid weather). A good fit for an Epever 150V 40A MPPT Charge controller.

Tested them today, all 3 panels in parallel this time (have shading issues), ~34V DC, 864 Watts peak/ 1,005 Watts rated = ~86% (~30.9A@28V DC). Only 3.5kW total today, static (not moved), due to cloud cover right at Solar noon (1:20pm ET). Panels are simply on the ground for now (horizontally angled). Looking to setup DIY pole mounts in near future (backyard).

A pretty good price for the convenience. I think they'll work out well once I get them mounted and trim a big tree.

Did you get those from the place in Campbell?
I picked up 4 230 watt Sharp panels from ML, they tested ok, I only got 5.5 amps by connecting it together and using clamp meter. ISC says 8.5 amps.

I picked up 4 230 watt Sharp panels from ML, they tested ok, I only got 5.5 amps by connecting it together and using clamp meter. ISC says 8.5 amps.
I just picked up 7 210watt panels for 70 bucks each testing so far max watts I get is 150 each but I think I can get more power once panels are at correct angle.

I just purchased 4 Renogy 100 watt solar panels for my 2018 Ford Transit van. According to Renogy these are very efficient 100W "compact" panels and for less than $100 each. I have room for 5 panels. But have decided to start out with a 400 watt system. I can always add another panel later. My MPP inverter charge controller can only handle up to 500 watts. That should be plenty to start out my off grid Van dwelling electrical system.

Hi K7.

On your Transit w/ 4 panels does that give room for roof venting and a ski box or does it take up the whole roof?
Thanks!

Hi K7.

On your Transit w/ 4 panels does that give room for roof venting and a ski box or does it take up the whole roof?
Thanks!
Hi K7.

Thanks!
TransitPaul, yes, my panels are the Compact style Renogy Panels. I also have the EXTLONG Transit 250. I definitely have room for (4) 100 Watt panels with a MaxAir Fan Vent toward the back. I can fit 2 Panels length wise on each side and I have room for a 5th 100 Watt panel on the back of the roof behind the roof vent going across the back of the van roof... I'm not sure what you mean by a ski box? If your referring to the "cable entry box" to pass the cables through the roof, (yes there is room for that also.)

Any recommendations for Flex Solar Panels?
Yes, absolutely! Sunpower are the best flexible panel and will last the longest because of the quality and efficiency 25% efficient. I was going to purchase Sunpower Flexible Solar Panels they have a Standard 100 Watt Panel, and for a bit more you can get a Highly Efficient 110 Watt panel. They are listed on Amazon Here are the Links

100 Watt panel: https://www.amazon.com/SunPower®-Flexible-Monocrystalline-Efficiency-Solar/dp/B07C37TJJ6/ref=asc_df_B07C37TJJ6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312146506965&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13140516430994109272&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031591&hvtargid=pla-572765950249&psc=1

110 Watt Panel: https://www.amazon.com/SUNPOWER-Por...ocphy=9031591&hvtargid=pla-645294999091&psc=1

When it comes to flexible panels... You get what you pay for. The Chinese manufactured ones are cheap and won't last about a year.

Back