diy solar

diy solar

Calculating how much solar needed for a supercomputer

Seriously Nonya

I have a rather unique home computer science lab with a 312 node supercomputer with massive storage capacity that will run pretty heavy calculations pretty much 24 hrs a day.

I have had periods where, in a single 14hr period I can use 500$ in power.

This computer is housed in a 1500 sq ft lab that has 100 floor sensors, 32 cameras and 16 microphones, plus sensors for temperature change, odours, humidity, and air pressure variances. There are also 12 screens varying in size from 34 inch to 65 inch.

The lab is equipped with a kitchenette with a microwave, dishwasher, freezer and a mini fridge.

There are about 8-12 other computers in the lab at any given time as well as lighting, and most importantly, a cooling and heating system both for the main lab and for the computer's clean room.

I am trying to calculate the battery capacity and solar needs for this lab.

Some details: 144 plugs are currently needed for the main computer. These are handled by 10 PDU units each with a capacity for 16 plugs.

The electrical is set up with 10x 110V outlets and 20x 220v

There are approximately 124 power supplies distributed around the computer that are between 750w and 1000w each.

I need to know what the best avenue for solar is as I live in a remote area in Atlantic Canada.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Power bill should show total Kwh used in the month. Divide by 30 and that'll get you on paper for daily battery capacity.

have had periods where, in a single 14hr period I can use 500$ in power.
At even $0.50 per Kwh that's 250Kwh of battery roughly, at $1200/5kwh battery that'll be roughly $60,000 in batteries per 14hr period, or $120,000 per day of batteries. Rough napkin math

Not including inverters, wiring, and floor space required.

How much money are you willing to spend?
If the answer is less than "Helluva Lots" this project might not be for you.

Back