diy solar

diy solar

Can Will do a video on separate port BMS

Surplusdoctor

In Will's video about a complete lifepo4 system, he talks about using a separate port BMS to not stop power to the charge controller. Can we get a video, showing the proper build that will not allow the charge controller to be damaged, like when the common BMS is used.

In Will's video about a complete lifepo4 system, he talks about using a separate port BMS to not stop power to the charge controller. Can we get a video, showing the proper build that will not allow the charge controller to be damaged, like when the common BMS is used.
@Will Prowse

I thought that separate port BMS was more about a chargeing limitation on the board and that allowed a greater discharge limit . Single port have it all going through the one wire so output would be limited to whatever the charge rate is in amps.

I thought that separate port BMS was more about a chargeing limitation on the board and that allowed a greater discharge limit . Single port have it all going through the one wire so output would be limited to whatever the charge rate is in amps.

In one of Will's videos he mentions that a separate Port BMS will continuously keep the electric going to your charge controller even after it disconnects the charging to the battery, therefore your charge controller will not be damaged, by only beiing connected to the solar panels.

I'd like him to do a video explaining how to.

why Would the charge controller be fried , it’s no different than if the fuse between the charge controller and the battery blew and the battery was no longer connected to the controller ,

that Would mean that all lifepo4 batteries, example being a battle born bms disconnect due to a low voltage battery or over/under heat disconnect would fry all charge controller no one would buy these things

please explain. My outback fm60 in Canada cost me 600 plus bucks , like it because you Pv voltage can be higher than your battery voltage ,which compensated for long wire run from panels to charge controller

Some charge controllers can be damaged if only connected to the PV panels and not the batteries, others may not. Depends on your CC.
Better to ask your manufacturer on details pertaining to particular CC on that situation. I wouldn't want to have to replace a CC fried by that scenario.
It is always recommended that the battery is connected first, followed by the PV input so the CC can set the correct battery voltage being used.
Disconnecting is panels first, then battery.

I have a cheap 12v/24v charge controller that says the battery MUST be connected first so that the charge voltage can be properly determined.
I charge 12v lead acid batteries from 24v solar panels and once I needed to readjust the alligator clamp on the battery. It momentarily lost contact and the charge controller switched to 24v charging (not sure if that is the default or because the panel is 24v). Fortunately I noticed the voltage increasing (past 15v, on its way to 24 i presume) before it cooked the battery.

The more expensive charge controllers often have dip switches to set the battery voltage so this scenario would not be a problem (as well as if a BMS dropped out scenario).

So i am very interested in this separate port BMS discussion... (but wasn't this also resolved with switches controlled by the BMS?)

Some charge controllers can be damaged if only connected to the PV panels and not the batteries, others may not. Depends on your CC. Better to ask your manufacturer on details pertaining to particular CC on that situation. I wouldn't want to have to replace a CC fried by that scenario. It is always recommended that the battery is connected first, followed by the PV input so the CC can set the correct battery voltage being used. Disconnecting is panels first, then battery.

My Victron 100/50 CC says not to connect panels unless the battery is already connected. Doesn't say what will happen though.

Back