diy solar

diy solar

Cargo Trailer Conversion 1300W on the roof

Carly

Hello! I'm working on a 7x16 ft cargo trailer conversion with a 1300 W 24V solar system. I plan to do a fair bit of boondocking in the southwest on dirt/gravel roads, but no extreme off-roading. I've got the following coming within the week:

• (4) REC N-PEAK Series 325 Watt 120 Cell..monocrystalline
    module with MC4, Vmp: 34.4, Imp: 9.46, Voc: 40.7, Isc:
    10.28, 65.9in x 39.25in x 30mm.
  • (1) COTEK SC-2000-124 Bi-directional Inverter and Charger,
    115V->12V, 2000 Watt with 50 Amp charger
  • (1) Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 solar charge controller.
    12, 24 Volts DC, 50 Amps max
  • appropriate cables, connectors, cables, etc.
I've calculated hooking up the panels in various configurations:
  • Series: 137.6V @ 9.46A
  • Parallel: 34.4V @ 37.84A
  • Series-parallel: 68.8V @ 18.92A
Been holding off on batteries, but at the moment planning to do a (8) 3.2V 200AH. I plan to run cell booster, 24V fridge, laptop, fan, and small AC on occasion. Plugging in those items to a spreadsheet for a 12v system gave me a 580 amp hours with no reserve. Or about 300 amp hours for a 24V system. So, that's quite a deficit, but I can always do without AC!

So, my questions at this point:
  • do you think 280AH prismatics would be durable enough for this application? I've read different things, from only use CALB, or, if using aluminum enlcosures (CATL?) to only use 100AH or 200AH. I'm willing to take some risk of a cell going bad and needing replacement, but also want to be safe.
  • would you go with series-parallel to deal with occasional shade issues? It's only a 16 foot spread, but seems like it could still help sometimes.
  • BMS: I'm totally lost on this. Doesn't the charge controller (with a temp probe) manage a lot of this? I've looked at the Daly, the Chargery, and SBMSO. And this, which I guess doesn't offer overcurrent protection (etc): Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor with Battery Temperature Sensor Victron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3C7ZV7/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_vWFiEb743F7T7
Well, that is enough for now! Appreciate any feedback at all.

Carl Y

Sorry, just read the other thread (RV) on this. I think I will go parallel with the panels, though they are sending me 10 AWG Solarline and connectors that are only rated to 30 AMP. But easier to return those than the panels. I do have Will's book on Kindle and will go with 8 gauge.

Back