diy solar

diy solar

Charging External DIY Battery that charges Solar Generator

I did try the xboost option still shutdown with overload. I have a kilowatt cord I can see if I can roughly catch what it's pulling at startup.

@Brucey
How's the 24V battery working?

Did you end up trying the KilloWatt?
I haven't got the kilowatt in place but I've been super happy with my 24V 100Ah batteries as expansion units for about a third of the ecoflow Delta 2 max expansion battery pricing.

I now have an Ecoworthy "mini" ($410) and full size djlb...(lightning sale for $360). Basically gives me an extra 5kWh to go with the integrated 2kWh in the d2m. Same 40-50lb weights. Can connect one to each of the mppts ports. And less messing about with 12Vs in series.

20240223_123428.jpg

I now have an Ecoworthy "mini" ($410) and full size djlb...(lightning sale for $360). Basically gives me an extra 5kWh to go with the integrated 2kWh in the d2m. Same 40-50lb weights. Can connect one to each of the mppts ports. And less messing about with 12Vs in series.
Fantastic, I'm glad it's working out.

It really is a great budget way to increase their capacity.
I'm still very much debating on getting a Delta 2 Max despite my 36V system.

So here is the stack. djbw 24V 100Ah at the bottom, the larger size is actually helpful as it allows the Delta 2 max to sit on it with clearance for the terminals. Then the much more compact ecoworthy 24V 100Ah on top.

2kWh in the D2M and 5kWh additional in the 24V outboards, $360 for the DJ and $409 for the ecoworthy. Charge rate of d2m around 390W per mppt port for a total of 780W.

20240304_173406.jpg20240304_173412.jpg20240304_173431.jpg

Awesome that setup looks great.

Quite a lot of power and usability in on small package.
Thanks, eventually I'll have a larger inverter/charger for the house but the d2m is always handy to have around, can take it out for some light welding by son etc.

It's a shame that the Delta 2 Max has issues accepting a battery input. 😞

That was actually my next upgrade path after this Delta Mini that I have.
That chugs along no problem with my 36V battery system charging it up at its maximum of 300W.

Let us know if you have any luck getting it figured out.
So as someone else had mentioned earlier, it was the ring terminal to xt60i cables that were stopping me from using 36/48V external batteries. Once I used cables that I knew were known good for shorting sense pin to negative, no problems. So now I can charge the d2m at 1000W (500Wx2) direct from the 48V bank as needed.

@Brucey
How's the 24V battery working?

Did you end up trying the KilloWatt?
So I did end up succeeding to start and run the propane dryer with a Victron 48/1200. Once started it uses between 500 and 800W, but needed that low frequency surge capability to get over the initial startup load.

So as someone else had mentioned earlier, it was the ring terminal to xt60i cables that were stopping me from using 36/48V external batteries. Once I used cables that I knew were known good for shorting sense pin to negative, no problems. So now I can charge the d2m at 1000W (500Wx2) direct from the 48V bank as needed.
Ah that makes sense.

The XT60 vs XT60i conundrum.
I don't really like how ecoflow implements that.

Every other power station company either has a completely separate input or the software just knows automatically to limit the amperage based on its voltage range.

10.5V to 30v to account for standard 8A 12V and 24V cigarette lighter ports.

🤷‍♀️

Ah that makes sense.

The XT60 vs XT60i conundrum.
I don't really like how ecoflow implements that.

Every other power station company either has a completely separate input or the software just knows automatically to limit the amperage based on its voltage range.

10.5V to 30v to account for standard 8A 12V and 24V cigarette lighter ports.

🤷‍♀️
So final solution was to use these, in conjunction with known good xt60i to mc4 cables. These are handy because the ecoflow solar cable polarity is swapped on the connectors versus normal. So in this case the red cable connects to the negative bus and vice versa to have the d2m see what it expects polarity wise on its end.

20240412_095334.jpg

One thing I do like about the Delta 2 max, it can really charge pretty fast if you need it to, this is with the d2m set to only use 1000W AC input so my 48/1200 doesn't get stressed. I think max total charge rate can go up to 2.2kW. Have both mppt ports connected to the power bus now.

Screenshot_20240429_093825.jpg

One thing I do like about the Delta 2 max, it can really charge pretty fast if you need it to, this is with the d2m set to only use 1000W AC input so my 48/1200 doesn't get stressed. I think max total charge rate can go up to 2.2kW. Have both mppt ports connected to the power bus now.

View attachment 212173
Sweet. 👌

I sprung for an Bluetti AC200L a few weeks ago, which has a maximum input of 1200W, but it only uses 1 input port unfortunately.
I like the idea of the dual PV inputs, that opens up a lot of options.

I wish I had gone with the Delta 2 Max, it was a toss up between the two.

Sweet. 👌

I sprung for an Bluetti AC200L a few weeks ago, which has a maximum input of 1200W, but it only uses 1 input port unfortunately.

I have a 200L, it is a great machine.

Last edited:
Sweet. 👌

They've had time to ease the kinks out so should be a great machine

So now I have the bigger 48V bank to charge the d2m at up to 1kW, I daisy chained two of these 20A power strips to extend my solar/inverter power from the laundry out to the kitchen.

Now I have the air fryer, countertop ice maker (150W), toaster and the French door fridge/freezer which is using 100W (need to see what that bumps up to during defrost) running off grid. Obviously can't use toaster and air fryer at once but that's fine.

Have another cord running to the outside to power pellet grill and other assorted outdoor needs.

Back