diy solar

diy solar

Chins 280 ah VS 290 ah cells

Can't beat that price. if you build it, you know what parts are going into your build. Do you already have the tools? The tools add up as well.

Can't beat that price. if you build it, you know what parts are going into your build. Do you already have the tools? The tools add up as well.
Don't have tools to balance. At $499 / 280 ah, do you even want to bother? Cells plus shipping / BMS and tools will easily be over $499. Even if you purchased multiple batteries, the cost seems minor over the cost of building.

Just asking for the average person that's not looking to buy tools and has to balance cells.

I bought into LiTime batteries ... had no problems buying vs building, trading money for time & labor. While sealed, batteries are well-packed, clean & simple, and installed in minutes. SOK has batteries that you can open up and repair, but for more money. So, with LiTime, Chins, etc., you'll need to be very careful about warranties and return process.

I'd suggest that you really look deep into their warranty and return processes, and their tech-support capability, plus forum horror stories (if any). US presence (shipping facility?), before you buy into a vendor's lineup.

Next, check each model for the amp-rating of the bms inside ... could be a more inexpensive 100-amp bms, vs a nicer 200-amp (or larger) bms. All my LiTimes have 200-amp bms's in them, so check the details.

A LiTime battery failed for me, with weird bms issues ... after some back & forth email with pics of the voltage errors, they swapped the battery out on their nickel, pre-paid UPS labels, nice shipping box (which I saved & used for the shipping out). They had california shipping center years back, and now have 3 across the USA, so that implies a good US presence.

Those LiTimes (they were AmpereTime when I bought them) have been running since 2021, and no signs of weakness, 2 cycles per day in our off-grid setup, 200ah coming off each cycle (power-hungry family). That's 700 cycles per year, so I'm already at the 2000 cycles mark, and we'll see how many more years I get off that original set of 2.

On a side note, I tend to take off points when the manufacturer/seller/whomever blatantly pastes their product image over "happy family" pics ... that's a degree of weak marketing that turns me off ... Chins lost a few points with their marketing pics.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
You can't even get cells and a bms for that price let alone a case, which means chins is most def. using grade B cells, and if you search on youtube for chins failure you'll see plenty of people saying the same thing.

SOK is still the minimum battery anyone should consider, alternatives from them you have Epoch, Victron, Sfk, Voltgo, Victron.

You can't even get cells and a bms for that price let alone a case, which means chins is most def. using grade B cells, and if you search on youtube for chins failure you'll see plenty of people saying the same thing.

SOK is still the minimum battery anyone should consider, alternatives from them you have Epoch, Victron, Sfk, Voltgo, Victron.
Yeah, Chins seems like a deal! I'd build my own before buying SOK. I may still buy 1 or 2 Chins and test / see how long they last / warranty issues.

Well I had some grade B 280s, died in 3 years, as in cell got puffed up and now has 0 volts. I capacity tested them last year and they had 265 AH out of 280 but what good is it now that its reading 0 volts just after 1 year.

I also know other people with wieze having issues, they start appearing around year 3.

Well I had some grade B 280s, died in 3 years, as in cell got puffed up and now has 0 volts. I capacity tested them last year and they had 265 AH out of 280 but what good is it now that its reading 0 volts just after 1 year.

I also know other people with wieze having issues, they start appearing around year 3.
No proof Chins are B, so stop.

No proof Chins are B, so stop.

There is more, a lot more. One time they sent Will a "solid state battery that would not catch on fire"

The burden of Proof is on the seller, not the buyer. If a vendor claims they have grade A cells they should be able to provide you with proof with test reports, not the other way around where as the buyer you have to prove they are not grade A.

So if you want to think you are smarter than everyone else go ahead, but I've seen the evidence, and these el chepo lithium batteries don't last and when the fail you will be beyond the amazon return policy.

SOK is the minimum for legitimacy.

Back