diy solar

diy solar

Do you prefer to buy the cells for DIY or buy the battery pack already assembled

Blue Sky

Do you prefer to buy cells for DIY or buy battery packs that are already assembled? What's the difference in price? What's the difference in performance?

DIY.
Gives me much more flexibility on cells and BMS, fits better in my system, and I need to add a heater/insulation anyway. Also allows me to use larger cells, which are generally cheaper. Maintenance is also easier compared to assembled systems that might have cells welded at the terminal. I can also make my packs at 50% the cost per kWh compared to off-the-shelf.

I could’ve saved about a third of the cost by DIY.

But I live in the cities and my system needs to be listed. To the AHJ that means UL.

DIY battery pack are indeed more convenient and flexible; This means a certain knowledge of electricity; If the batteries are damaged by your own mistakes, you need to buy them again and replace them. But many people prefer to buy cells for DIY.:)

I could’ve saved about a third of the cost by DIY.

But I live in the cities and my system needs to be listed. To the AHJ that means UL.
What country are you in and does it require UL certification?

Wow, really good job! Is this a rack-mounted DIY energy storage system? It looks very complicated. What is the capacity of each cell, and how many modules are there in parallel?

21P14S

Only half of it.

I don't have the space for a DIY shelf, nor can I reasonably construct a good quality protective casing for it. So I bought server rack batteries. They fit neatly into the space I do have and I don't really need to do much else but to connect them to the bus bar.

The other option was the self-build kits like the Seplos but I priced it up and really the small price difference wasn't worth it, especially given the hassle and risk of importing cells from China.

But if I was building something in a shed without space restrictions, then maybe I would DIY.

When you purchase a prefab battery wrapped in Mylar tape and placed in a plastic case stuffed with foam is there the proper amount of compression applied to the cells during the top off charging where cells begin to expand?

Back