diy solar

diy solar

Don't put too much power into an Ecoflow River2

Kenny_

Solar Addict
Just blew mine up! Damn!! was hooking up my three new Renogy 550 watt panels hooked the first one up and plugged it in to the River 2 and Yes! Working!
went back out and connected the other two panels and boom, the magic smoke left the device....totally dead now.

Why the hell doesn't it have over voltage/current protection!!!!! Why!!!!!

How much solar can be hooked to it and what is the voltage coming from panels? How much will the ecoflow except?

Which model?

1,650w seems like alot to throw at it.

Last edited:
How much solar can be hooked to it and what is the voltage coming from panels? How much will the ecoflow except?

Which model?

1,650w seems like alot to throw at it.
Yes it was...I did it inadvertently...had one panel hooked up and was working great...forgot/didn't think to disconnect it and hooked the other two panels in series and boom...
it's one of the small ones, purchased in July...my first step into bigger solar...

Ecoflow River 2 Pro
Solar Input

11-50V 13A, 220W Max
so one panel is fine but three panels in series is about 150v or so... Oops...
I owned up to it and sent an email to support. It is supposedly warrantied for 5 years but probably not from too much input...even though it claims to have excellent protection....bullshit I say.

I was getting this second string of panels ready to plug into my new Sungold 10k48v inverter. To which they are not connected and working fine.

I was looking at the specs just didn't know which one you had. Just a little too much input power. ?

I sent a message to Ecoflow...it has a 5 year warranty and supposedly has protection....so maybe it will be covered. I was straight up with what happened.

I did that to a very expensive Geneverse Pro 2.

Most of the newer units I have include a circuit breaker switch and the controller should have shut off if it has over voltage protection as they claim.

I was actually within the specs at 48 volt (12 volt 100 watt in series) but it still burnt that unit up.

I hope they will replace yours.

Ecoflow River 2 Pro
Solar Input

11-50V 13A, 220W Max
so one panel is fine but three panels in series is about 150v or so... Oops...

Max 50V input? Only one panel, and even then you have to watch panel specs including over temperature.
220W max input? 13A ... I expect it to limit current draw and wattage.

three new Renogy 550 watt panels hooked the first one up and plugged it in to the River 2

3x 550W for a device that specs 220W input max? Just one would be over-paneled.

Generally nothing has over-voltage protection. The voltage spec is based on what transistors can handle.
They could have a transistor turned on to short the panel, then current limit would matter.

What battery? You might be able to tap in and charge directly. But need to respect BMS limits for voltage and current. Does it accept DC input from car or other battery? That could be charged separately, if this sips only the power it wants.

The device probably has overload protection on AC output.

Have to treat it as a small portable device, put your higher power into the other 48V inverter.

Back