diy solar

diy solar

Exceeding rated power of EPS (emergency power supply) on a Growatt 6000?

binding_energy

I intend wiring the EPS output of my Growatt SPH6000 hybrid inverter to the ring main serving my kitchen sockets and two in the garage, so that in the event of a power cut it keeps the freezer and fridges running. I'll be using a Growatt Automatic Transfer Switch (Growatt ATS-S) so the ring main gets power from either the grid or the EPS depending upon whether there is a power cut or not

The specs say the max output of inverter is 6kW (although I've heard that it can actually supply much more) but the the EPS is limited to 3kW, which is plenty for my needs.

However, although the arrangement is mainly designed for when we are out of the house for a few days and want to keep the fridges running, it is conceivable that we could get a power cut when the kettle is on and I'm making toast, in which case the total load seen by the inverter EPS output could exceed 3kW.

What happens in this scenario?

Does the inverter limit the current or drop the voltage so the kettle boils more slowly and possibly the fridges no longer run or does the inverter simply cut power to the EPS altogether and then bring it back up when the load drops below 3kW or when the next power cut happens?

I'm hoping there is a failsafe mechanism and that attempting to draw more than 3kW from the EPS doesn't simply damage the inverter.

I have not heard of a decent inverter that reduces voltage when overloaded.
So how does it deal with it? Does it have a current limiter do you think? Essentially that would be the same thing as far as the appliances are concerned. Wouldn't matter for a kettle but the fridge motor may not run. (Not a big deal as we would be in and could just turn off the kettle) . My main concern is that it doesn't damage the inverter.

Typically if you exceed a limit the inverter shuts down. Some reset when the overload dissipates and some have to be manually reset. I don't know Growatt, is it addressed in the manual?

Typically if you exceed a limit the inverter shuts down. Some reset when the overload dissipates and some have to be manually reset. I don't know Growatt, is it addressed in the manual?
No unfortunately not. That's why I'm posting here. All it says is EPS output max 3kW, doesn't say what happens if the load exceeds this. Thanks anyway though. Growatt seems quite popular in the UK, maybe someone else knows the answer.

Back