diy solar

diy solar

From lead acid too lithium

Jasno

Currently using 24x lead acId 6v 240ah

With 5kva victron 48v inverter

21 × solar panels

Wanting to know how and what lithium to change too? How many ? What ah ? Do I need to reprogram inverter?

18,720Wh available in the bank, 21 panels, but you dont say the wattage.
What specs are on the panels?
How much did the batteries cost?
How long did they last?
What area of earth are you in?
Why are you changing to lithium?

I'm just adding LFP in to become Power Pack #1 as my FLA bank has decided that retirement is in it's future but will be used till retirement as secondary power....

Both the solar controller & inverter will have to be reprogrammed for an LFP profile, there is no equalization or float requirement and voltages have to be right, not too much and not too little.

to replace your 48v/720AH gross FLA (3 banks of 8 in series @ 240AH per series) is roughly 360AHrs net @ 50% DOD. Your looking for a 48v/400AH which leaves a bit of room at the top & bottom for margin as you ever want to discharge 100% or hit 100% full charge, it's best to lave 10% on either end. The advantage is you can use 80% comfortably from an LFP and charge it faster than FLA.

A better description of your batteries & equipment will help you get a better response, above if rough guestimate based on the minimal info provided.

18,720Wh available in the bank, 21 panels, but you dont say the wattage.
What specs are on the panels?
How much did the batteries cost?
How long did they last?
What area of earth are you in?
Why are you changing to lithium?
Australia
Lithium because it seems like I can buy less batteries and last longer.
The current lead acids cost about $5000.
I'll have to get info of panels

I'm just adding LFP in to become Power Pack #1 as my FLA bank has decided that retirement is in it's future but will be used till retirement as secondary power....

Both the solar controller & inverter will have to be reprogrammed for an LFP profile, there is no equalization or float requirement and voltages have to be right, not too much and not too little.

to replace your 48v/720AH gross FLA (3 banks of 8 in series @ 240AH per series) is roughly 360AHrs net @ 50% DOD. Your looking for a 48v/400AH which leaves a bit of room at the top & bottom for margin as you ever want to discharge 100% or hit 100% full charge, it's best to lave 10% on either end. The advantage is you can use 80% comfortably from an LFP and charge it faster than FLA.

A better description of your batteries & equipment will help you get a better response, above if rough guestimate based on the minimal info provided.

Attachments

• 20191218_080242.jpg
    20191218_080242.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 11

What 48v 400ah lithium would u look at purchasing? That's so much for your help. I uploaded some photos

What 48v 400ah lithium would u look at purchasing? That's so much for your help. I uploaded some photos
Given that your in the states, I would jump all over the BYD and SamSung ESS deals which are available right now (several threads ongoing atm) which are an incredible deal if your up for a bit of DIY. IF you want to buy brand-new I would look at the current Sinopoly & Calb and BLS offerings which will has just covered with a good BMS. If budget is good, there are Power Walls but for example, Tesla ones have to have their installer and such but there are others out there too.

A recommendation depends on your budget, willingness / capability for DIY, expectations like warranty etc... Case in point, I thought I would be smart and bought a "ShunBin" 24v/400AH premade pack which I thought was a good deal, not so much, I screwed up and in hindsight, it would have come out to about the same money, had I bought matched cells and the BMS etc and put the pack together myself (and it would be up NOW rather than waiting on parts)

Have a look at this video here:

You might also want to consider ev batteries such as the chevy volt packs or nissan leaf packs, good value for $ and they work great in solar systems. If you have not seen these check out these you tube channels, Mark Osborne, devildestiny555, Bobby's Solar Homestead and Aviad Offer just to mention a few.

Given that your in the states, I would jump all over the BYD and SamSung ESS deals which are available right now (several threads ongoing atm) which are an incredible deal if your up for a bit of DIY. IF you want to buy brand-new I would look at the current Sinopoly & Calb and BLS offerings which will has just covered with a good BMS. If budget is good, there are Power Walls but for example, Tesla ones have to have their installer and such but there are others out there too.

A recommendation depends on your budget, willingness / capability for DIY, expectations like warranty etc... Case in point, I thought I would be smart and bought a "ShunBin" 24v/400AH premade pack which I thought was a good deal, not so much, I screwed up and in hindsight, it would have come out to about the same money, had I bought matched cells and the BMS etc and put the pack together myself (and it would be up NOW rather than waiting on parts)

So that I understand with the video u uploaded would I need 16 of them to have 400ah???

IM in Australia, just confirming I will Need 48v 400ah of lithium batteries is that correct?

Would 2 of these work

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191218-225501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191218-225501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9
Would 2 of these work

Based on the info your provided, a minimum of 400AH @ 48VDC would replace what you presently have running. Personally if possible, I would add a bit more for margin, we all know that Murphy's Laws will apply and shit happens when you least expect it.... Given your in OZ, look out the window towards Sydney. The battery ad you posted is for 12V/200AH "packs" which I don't know if you can set up in Series & Parallel, if you could then you would need 8 of these. 1 String of 4 = 48V/200AH times 2 strings in parallel. That is $10,072 AUD ($6,908 USD) based on the listed price of $1,259AUD ($863 USD) You could do better with CALB's or Winstons. We have many Ozzies here who are dialed into the local market there as well as good suppliers, it would be worth a post asking fellow Ozzies for battery references for Known Good Suppliers & Products. I'm Canadian, so no help there....

Thanks for the reply, based on the Winston website with the attached prices would a 48v system 400ah be around the $11000 price

Attachments

• 15BF7FB1-86CC-4FEA-93D1-C4C0AD434583.png
    15BF7FB1-86CC-4FEA-93D1-C4C0AD434583.png
    608.3 KB · Views: 7
Back