diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mount Array Distance Help

snack

Hi All
I'm preparing to install my first ground mount array and had a question about distance between arrays to avoid shadowing . I put the numbers in a ground mount calculator but the results are that the panels need to be 18' apart from the top of the front array to the bottom of the back one...that's 30' apart at the bases. Does that seem right? The panels are about 6.25' long. Should I trust my math?
Thanks!

Depends on your latitude and time of year to find your lowest worst case angle. You can double check your math using the SunOnTrack app and a mock up board for the most sunward panels/obstructions for your winter equinox path.

Does that seem right? The panels are about 6.25' long.
It does seem reasonable.

I'd mention that if you can accept some shadowing on the bottom modules for one week either side of the winter solstice then you could put them closer and not have any trouble the of the year. But if you've got plenty of room then follow your math.

Unless you re looking straight out over the ocean, its very likely that nearby objects will limit the usable minimum sun elevation angle besides just the row of panels in front.

But yes, thirty feet apart is not unreasonable. You might do better elevating the rear panels a few feet higher.

Back