diy solar

diy solar

High DC Ripple Warning

cdsolar

caduceus
Since commissioning my system, with a 48V Multiplus II 3000 VA (UL) and a 48V EG4 LLv2 battery (for power in a barn), I noticed that VRM showed that I had about 10 High DC Ripple warnings, all of which fired for only 21 or 22 seconds each. No BMS warnings/errors at those times.

Most of these were clustered in the first three weeks after I initially fired up the system a few months ago and was tinkering . But two were recent. Based on the dates of these last two and what I did on those days, I ran an experiment.

Today, while standing in front of my inverter and while panels were charging the battery and a small load (125W lamp) was on, I threw my DC disconnect from the panels. Sure enough a few minutes later, a High DC Ripple alarm showed up in VRM and the duration was 21s. No changes in lights or alarms at the inverter itself. I then turned the disconnect back on.

I suspect this might be expected as flow from the battery takes over the load as opposed to the SCC. Assuming wiring is not loose, or other standard DC ripple issues are present, I don't think I have anything to worry about, except that I will turn off my inverter before disconnecting panels in the future if not an emergency.

Usually this means there is a loose connection or undersized wiring.

You could ignore it, but I can say properly operating systems should not have warnings/alarms.

Usually this means there is a loose connection or undersized wiring.

You could ignore it, but I can say properly operating systems should not have warnings/alarms.
Yeah, I'll check the wiring tightness again. It is definitely not undersized.

Back