diy solar

diy solar

Hooking up a power supply to MPPT solar charger’s PV input

moonlight23

I’m building a portable DIY power station with 8S LiFePO4 batteries (24v), with a Victron 100V/15A MPPT solar charge controller inside to charge the batteries.

However I also want the option to charge this battery pack from the AC wall outlet. Can I wire both the solar panels and THIS 120v AC to 48v DC rectifier power supply into the PV input of the Victron? This would mean that if solar panels are not connected, the MPPT would still have a supply of 48v DC fed into it to charge the batteries from the wall.

That power supply linked is only rated for 4A (I’m ok with the slower charging speeds), however I’m a little concerned it’s not actually current-limited, so if the MPPT wants to pulls more than 4A then it could fry both the power supply and MPPT.

I've done it with a 24v power supply to 12 volt battery. Worked good for a few days till the regulator went on the power supply. The regulator had recently been replaced though so I think it had a previous problem, not damaged from the mppt pulling too much.
James

No, that supply is current limited to 4 a max, I would get one of the 20a supplies

You’re correct. After doing some more research, I realized this will not work because the solar charger will pull 15A max and will overload that 48v 4A power supply. I don't think there's any current-limiting circuitry in there, so if more than 4A draw is sustained, it will eventually go pop.

The alternative I found is this 36v 16A Meanwell LOP-36 power supply. Any issues if I use this PSU instead?

Do I need to use any diodes so solar power does not back-feed into the PSU, or the PSU doesn’t back-feed into the PV panels?

Back