diy solar

diy solar

how to get the last out of old/preserve new batteries.. and second hand upgrades

PeppermintButler

Hi all, I hope you are well

This is the 1st time I have ever created or even posted on a thread. so i am probably in the wrong place or doing something wrong haha. if this is already a well discussed topic I couldn't find it so i apologise for that if that's the case.

I have inherited a dying solar system and have decided to limp forward by purchasing a similar secondhand system.
I am trying to preserve the "new" battery system so i don't find myself in this situation next year.

OLD: 24v solar array > PL60 solar charger > 3kw latronics inverter > 4 x (energystore 6rp1080nx) batteries

"NEW": midnight classic 150 > 4kw latronics inverter > 4 x (energystore 6rp1080nx) batteries +(35amp battery charger, HRC fuse and additional bit and pieces including conduit and wiring for batteries and inverter)

I am wondering whether i can:

charge both battery banks with one solar panel array.(but still use them separately) use the old batteries to run fridge/pump(3kw inverter) new batteries to run everything else(4kw inverter) or some how automatically switch between the 2 banks at a set voltage
or
would I be better off setting up another solar array for cheap seeing as I have 2 whole system atm
or
float charge new bank from old bank and use them like a generator when the old ones die out until they completely die

and in the meantime apparently my new charger can switch between float charging 3 battery banks can i connect both battery banks to the neg- of the charger and pos+ to the different outputs of the charger.. just don't know if i can have a common neg-

sorry for the text dump just trying to give you all the info and pre-empt questions

thank you in advance for entertaining my crazy

p.s also interested in victrons battery protect BP-220 to cut off the batteries at a set voltage to make the solar usage idiot proof

Old fla and new fla batteries don’t play well together you will trash the new batteries if you can do separate systems that would be my choice as far as a common ground I think you would be ok maybe someone with a midnight unit will chime in

Old fla and new fla batteries don’t play well together you will trash the new batteries if you can do separate systems that would be my choice as far as a common ground I think you would be ok maybe someone with a midnight unit will chime in
awesome, yeah thats why im trying to figure out "fancy" ways to get around connecting them.. but yeah new panels is probably the smartest

Back