diy solar

diy solar

How to install balancer - soldering ok? how to isolate afterwards?

DReffects

Hello there!
I've got a bunch of JOSMA Lifepo4 Server Rack battery packs (150Ah each) and unfortunately they do have quite the cell drift. Looking through videos from the offgrid garage I've ordered a NEEY 4th Gen 4A active balancer.

• Has anyone got a similiar battery pack from JOSMA and can provide pictures of the inner works?
  • Is it ok to just solder the balancing cables on top of the existing stuff on the terminals?
  • Where can i get proper isolation material and how is it called?
  • Can you help or advise me in general how to approach this?

Have you troubleshot why they're not getting passively balanced?

They may have threaded balance lead terminals already on the bus bars.

Have you troubleshot why they're not getting passively balanced?

They may have threaded balance lead terminals already on the bus bars.
How would I do that? At least as far as I know there is no balancer inside the battery packs.
Voltage drift happens during charging and decharging. If i let the pack sit for a few days cell voltages balance, but during daily usage this is no longer the case.

How would I do that? At least as far as I know there is no balancer inside the battery packs.
There would be a passive balancer in the BMS. You would balance them by holding them at a voltage where balancing is initiated. Normally your daily charging should be enough to provide balancing, but for a catch up balance ideally if you can connect with a laptop to watch the balancing and then use an adjustable voltage charger to hold them at the balancing threshold.

Like for my server rack battery I can hold it at 55v and watch the balancing activity on the laptop to see when it's completely done.

I don't think I have such a balancing mechanism. I am charging with 54.4V - anything higher results in a BMS disconnect due to overvoltage of individual cells that creep above 3.6V

JOSMA official store

Contact them and ask for technical data on your batteries including balancing.

Back