diy solar

diy solar

I need a torque wrench or two. Which is your favorite or favorites for solar applications?

I have some nice fancy Snap-On torque wrenches that are electronic as well, both in 3/8 and 1/2” drive, and also do angle which I needed at the time for one of my cars (that sounds like I have a ton of cars haha, I dont). But they’re amazing!

for finer/lower details I have a 2-16nm, 1/4” drive from Effetto Giustaforza, it’s beautiful in its own right.
then for the finest precision, I have a couple Wera screwdriver torque wrenches for fine tuning tenths of a nm.

I like tools :)

with that being said, I do believe you can get some fairly decent torque wrenches at some low prices. You don’t have to buy snap-on to get accuracy.
Thank you for the information, I will take a look at those nice ones.

I bought a Wheeler Digital FAT Wrench, 15 to 100 inch pounds, 1.7 to 11.3 Newton Meters. It came with a calibration certificate which is cool.
I assume the calibration certificate numbers are just like using the "Compass Deviation Card" numbers?? Yes/No/Maybe so

Would something like those be fine?

Fix It Sticks Tightening +/- 10% Accurate 15-65 inch-lbs All-In-One Torque Driver Tool Kit w/T-Way Wrench Bits Socket Adapters https://a.co/d/4rZO6fu

Would something like those be fine?

Fix It Sticks Tightening +/- 10% Accurate 15-65 inch-lbs All-In-One Torque Driver Tool Kit w/T-Way Wrench Bits Socket Adapters https://a.co/d/4rZO6fu

+/- 10% accuracy may not be good enough considering that the low end of the range is only 15 inch-pounds. I'm trying to recall how much I tightened the screws in my cell terminals and I think it was maybe only 12 inch pounds.

Guess it depends on what you’re tightening. I tightened my EVE cells to 6Nm.
6Nm is 53 inch pounds fyi
IMG_2393.jpeg

I don't trust the click type. For the battery connections, a small beam style worked for me.

For larger bolts, I like the Warren & Brown Torque Wrench. It is a beam style with an audible click. Unfortunately, they are Austrialian, and hard to find inthe USA (I bought mine off e-bay).

Anyone have a suggestion for a good single wrench for all solar applications that won't break the bank?
In general, you probably need two. One for the really low range and one for mid range.
So try to determine your specific applications/products to understand what torque ranges your install will require, especially on the lower range (less than 15Nm). If you don’t need the lower range for your install then you can get by with just one.

I used a coupe of click wrenches like this for smaller torque jobs nd the "click" was not very pronounced and I'd miss it.
Of the two, I'd use this even though I've not used one. I actually prefer analog gauges for these small torque jobs, so I'd liek to be able to see what the actual rating is or if this gives an audible beep, hear that.

Last edited:
I used a coupe of click wrenches like this for smaller torque jobs nd the "click" was not very pronounced and I'd miss it.
(y) Yep... you have to 'feel' it... see my posting here (and the sad image above it)

Of the two, I'd use this even though I've not used one. I actually prefer analog gauges for these small torque jobs, so I'd liek to be able to see what the actual rating is or if this gives an audible beep, hear that.
The reviews do say the analog one has a very quiet "click" so I guess a bit risky to go ahead with that one.

I'll go with the digital adapter as you've suggested and will get the YR1035+ you recommended a while back.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Back