diy solar

diy solar

Input on planned build -- how much can be saved? Does the construction make sense? (Hybrid AC/DC 3 phase + DIY battery)?

Messier11

After successfully building a system for my Off-grid Cabin based on 6 panels, a Multiplus-II 5000/48 and 16 EVE 280AH battery I have started to look into putting something on the roof of my house. I have picked the gear I am somewhat familiar with, and with the money adds up, I am thinking that I am probably is making things more expensive than I need to do. At the same time, I am not super cost sensitive.

Overview
This is an overview of the build:
35 x 460w Jinko (JKM460M-60HL4) (6 will be mounted vertically facing SE to get the morning sun, and the rest on the roof at 35 degrees facing SW)
1x Fronius Symo 7.0.3 AC coupled inverter
3 x Victron MultiPlus 3000/48 DC Coupled Inverter/Charges
1682205122588.png

Consumption
This is the consumption from 2022, which is low since the pool was getting some maintenance, will be closer to 12.5 kWh going forward.
1682205514869.png
And this is the consumption a somewhat typical day (the first is a bit high side, had a couple of fans running after a small water leak, and the second is on the lower side):
1682205665899.png
1682207132452.png
We don't charge any cars (nor drives a ton), but I want to overdimension the system a bit to have some marginals.

Financials -- costs and incomes, summary
This is my estimated costs and earnings from the build (based on European prices, but in USD):
1682205861678.png

I would get a $10k subsidy, as long as I install a battery, which is great. But it's still a very costly system. I have only calculated on paying an electrician $1.5k to inspect the installation and connect it to the grid -- meaning that I have to do a lot of work myself, otherwise I basically have to add 10k to the price I recon.

I pay basically $0.2 for a kWh and will get about $0.1 kWh if I sell a kWh. I am in Sweden, so the production will be minimal November to February. The prices are estimates, we have had prices up towards $0.5 for a kWh this winter due to the Ukraine war, they are expected to drop down towards $0.15, but I am not so sure about that, I think we will see a much much bigger delta between high and low prices in the future depending on if there is wind and if the sun is shining. But nobody really knows.

At this rate, the build would become profitable after 6.1 years (assuming zero alternative return), and I there are always extra costs, so I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being closer to 7-8 years. But with the above estimates, the yearly return over the coming 15 years would be 6.17%, which isn't that bad. I mostly make this build because its fun and good for the planet. I haven't calculated on how long it would take for the installation to pay of its CO2 debt -- but I think its closer to 7-8 years given the battery cells (don't really know how much energy it consumes to build them, but a monocrystaline cell built in China take like 5-6 years before its CO2 neutral and from then on its a 100% gain).

Questions!
Any input would be greatly appreciated! What changes would you guys do? Is the designed flawed in any way?

Does it make sense to have a MultiPlus II or should I go with a Phoenix? Or any other brand than Victron all together?

Last edited:
Phoenix is an inverter. Not an inverter/charger - can't charge from AC. Pretty sure i can't

Cerbo?
Shunt?

Is the Fronius 3 phase output? If so, is each leg limited to 3000W or less?
Yes! So in that case I couldn’t charge the batteries with power from the Fronius. Getting three MPII 3000W/48 is about $1,500 more expensive than three Phoenix 3000W/48.

It shouldn’t really be necessary to charge the batteries with AC from the Fronius, the Fronius will start about 2-3 hours before the DC-coupled charges starts. But I don’t know how much power the system would generate a really cloudy day.

Yes! So in that case I couldn’t charge the batteries with power from the Fronius. Getting three MPII 3000W/48 is about $1,500 more expensive than three Phoenix 3000W/48.

It shouldn’t really be necessary to charge the batteries with AC from the Fronius, the Fronius will start about 2-3 hours before the DC-coupled charges starts. But I don’t know how much power the system would generate a really cloudy day.

My post trailed off. It appears you are AC coupling your inverters together. You need to confirm Phoenix inverters can be used in AC-coupling.

In all the Victron documentation concerning AC coupling, only Multis and Quattros are mentioned.

Hmm,
My post trailed off. It appears you are AC coupling your inverters together. You need to confirm Phoenix inverters can be used in AC-coupling.

In all the Victron documentation concerning AC coupling, only Multis and Quattros are mentioned.

Yeah, and I will probably go with the MultiPlus anyway, because then I can just shift out the gear to my Off-Grid cabin out in the archipelago (I wonder how long away it is before EV boats becomes generally available).

Yes, it is high voltage battery.

I haven't looked into the models it takes, but for Sunny Boy Storage the HV batteries are getting more reasonable.
BYD 10kWh about $6500 and 32kWh about $18,000 (US). That's about 2x the price of server rack batteries.

If you can use high voltage battery, that can be a single string of cells and smaller wires, less current. Capacity can be expanded by adding more cells in series. It looks attractive, just doesn't have a clear DIY path because we don't know what BMS is supported.

For 48V battery 3-phase can connect three single-phase together - there is Sunny Island, Schneider, Outback. Maybe Victron. SolArk (so maybe Deye), Others.

Someone here named a 48V 3-phase inverter, I think. Or maybe it was a 120/208Y GT PV inverter, which is more convenient for smaller US applications.

I have 3x Sunny Island for 48V battery, 120/208Y and transformer connecting 277/480V TriPower.

Back