diy solar

diy solar

Inverter replacement

Bsnyder709

I have a SMA SB 7000US inverter out of warranty, installed in 2010, and not working (8190w of total panels). I’m ok with replacing it but i am not sure what kind of inverter to replace with. SMA has not been a great help. Grid tie system in Tucson, AZ (actually my parents, trying to help). Once i find the correct inverter, is this something I am allowed to do myself? Not a licensed electrician but doesn’t seem to be many wires and all looks pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance for any input.
Brett

It could be replaced with an SMA 7.7 or a Fronius Primo 7.6. There are other choices but these are good inverters with a history of performance and reliability from established companies.

You could replace the unit yourself but its very important to understand there is HIGH DC voltage involved so the PV wires need to be disconnected at the panels so there is no voltage on them when they are disconnected and handled. Also remember to let the capacitors bleed down in the inverter for 5 min before touching anything after there is zero volts on the wires.

Do you mean i have to disconnect the wires on each panel? There are 39 of them and they aren’t moving anywhere. Just inverter replacement. Can’t i just undo the main panel lines to the inverter and electrical tape/cap them up until ready to hook to new inverter? Thank you for the reply/information.

Back