diy solar

diy solar

Inverter wiring optioons

CB-OTB

Looking for a few ideas on how I should wire my inverter into my boats electrical system.

The boat is powered from two 120V 30 A shore connectors that’s typically Line 1 and Line 2. Away from the dock, it’s powered by a 7.3kw 120V generator, and the transfer switches join L1 and L2 together in the electrical panel. I‘ve attached a photo of the factory wiring diagram.

I only really want the inverter to operate when I’m away from the shore power. I want it to run the fridges and a fan or two overnight so that I can sleep without the generator running.

There seems to be two “easy“ options to wire the inverter in place but they are both questionable.

Option Blue: If I were to connect the inverter at the blue circle, between the generator and electrical panel, then I could have it turn on automatically anytime the generator turns off. I have some loads that when combined would exceed the inverters capabilities so I would have to manually manage those loads. The problem with the blue option, is that when I am on shore power, then I will not be charging my battery bank. (This is a new battery bank and is not charged by the charger that is show connected to Line 1 in the panel. That charger is for the starter batteries). The other problem is that the generator can supply 60A, and I think the pass through current of my inverter is limited to 50A. Again, I could manage this manually, but there’s a risk associated with this setup. (I would also need some kind of switch to keep it off while connected to shore power).

Option Red: If I were to connect the inverter at the red circle, I would get the benefit of the inverter charging my battery bank while on shore power and I would also not risk overloading it via the generator since the loads on that side of the electrical panel do not exceed the ratings of the inverter. My concern here is that the inverter wouldn’t power the loads on the L2 side which includes my receptacles which I need to run fans.

As I type this out, I realize the best option is to rebalance my panel with the loads that I want to run from the inverter on one side and the other loads on the other side. Regardless, I would still like to hear your opinions on various options here, specifically the option where I prefer not to rewire (and relabel) my entire electrical panel.

5111C22C-3E1D-4D27-A7A9-F8E0FA37F23E.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking for a few ideas on how I should wire my inverter into my boats electrical system.

The boat is powered from two 120V 30 A shore connectors that’s typically Line 1 and Line 2. Away from the dock, it’s powered by a 7.3kw 120V generator, and the transfer switches join L1 and L2 together in the electrical panel. I‘ve attached a photo of the factory wiring diagram.

I only really want the inverter to operate when I’m away from the shore power. I want it to run the fridges and a fan or two overnight so that I can sleep without the generator running.

There seems to be two “easy“ options to wire the inverter in place but they are both questionable.

Option Blue: If I were to connect the inverter at the blue circle, between the generator and electrical panel, then I could have it turn on automatically anytime the generator turns off. I have some loads that when combined would exceed the inverters capabilities so I would have to manually manage those loads. The problem with the blue option, is that when I am on shore power, then I will not be charging my battery bank. (This is a new battery bank and is not charged by the charger that is show connected to Line 1 in the panel. That charger is for the starter batteries). The other problem is that the generator can supply 60A, and I think the pass through current of my inverter is limited to 50A. Again, I could manage this manually, but there’s a risk associated with this setup. (I would also need some kind of switch to keep it off while connected to shore power).

Option Red: If I were to connect the inverter at the red circle, I would get the benefit of the inverter charging my battery bank while on shore power and I would also not risk overloading it via the generator since the loads on that side of the electrical panel do not exceed the ratings of the inverter. My concern here is that the inverter wouldn’t power the loads on the L2 side which includes my receptacles which I need to run fans.

As I type this out, I realize the best option is to rebalance my panel with the loads that I want to run from the inverter on one side and the other loads on the other side. Regardless, I would still like to hear your opinions on various options here, specifically the option where I prefer not to rewire (and relabel) my entire electrical panel.

View attachment 138789

Back