diy solar

diy solar

Liitokala 105Ah LiFePO4 cell - maximum charging current confusion

merlin077

Hi,

i recently purchased 16x 105Ah LiFePo4 cells from Liitokala on Aliexpress.

And first off: Yes, I read from people who measured them and got around 80-90Ah of real capacity. I still have to top balance them and do a capacity test myself, so no experience on the performance by now. To be fair: even if they're rated at let's say 85Ah, the capacity is sufficient for my use case and the price per kWh is okay. The cells were packed really good and came without any visible defects or bulges. All 16 cells had the same voltage levels down to a few mV. Still they have a widely varying SOC.

One thing got my interest and i couldn't find a suitable answer to: They indicate a charging current of 20A to a maximum of 40A.
Afaik most LiFePo4 cells can be charged with 1C. At least this is what most datasheets of similar cells say.
If we assume a more realistic capacity of 80Ah, theoretically these cells shoul
d take 80A of charge without instantly setting the house on fire? Not that i would do that, i'm just curious.

0.2C normal charging current seems quite low for me. Discharging on the other hand is rated at 1C (100A) with a maximum current of 3C (300A) which seems normal to me. But: I'm a complete newbie to the whole LiFePO4 game and happy to learn.

liitokala_charging_current.PNGliitokala_.PNG

As Liitokala doesn't provide any usable datasheets for this cells, i removed the top white sticker in the search of a (not bullshit) QR code. I found a scratched Datamatrix code, but couldn't see any real evidence of the cell manufacturer. The serial number beneath the code doesn't clue me up. The first digits could resemble some sort of date code? I attached a few photos. Tomorrow i will remove the stickers from the other cells, maybe it's possible to Frankenstein a Datamatrix code from 16 scratched ones... :)

Thanks a lot!
merlin077

IMG_0008.PNGIMG_0006.PNGIMG_0007.PNG

Back