diy solar

diy solar

MC connectors and Anderson

Russ

Can you put Anderson connectors on 10 gauge PV Wire instead of MC4

Can you put Anderson connectors on the 12 gauge speaker wire Will recommends on his site.

Hope both ways will work well. The mfg said you could use speaker wire permanently outdoors????

MC4 connectors have a much higher voltage rating than Anderson connectors. If you keep within their specs, you could use them. Don't put high voltages through them as any arc that does form can make contact with your hands if you have to unplug underload, and you don't want that.

They aren't weatherproof at all though so definitely not usable exposed to the elements. Like MC4 don't unplug without isolating the panels with a proper switch as despite being quite chunky pins they will pit and degrade with arcing.

Can you put Anderson connectors on 10 gauge PV Wire instead of MC4

Can you put Anderson connectors on the 12 gauge speaker wire Will recommends on his site.

Hope both ways will work well. The mfg said you could use speaker wire permanently outdoors????

I use these for connecting panels inside to the SCC. They aren’t weather proof so outside connection not recommended.
10g fits nicely.

BA79CDF4-4740-489D-8F06-C3EB20BA4623.png

I may get some XT connectors.

Only the wire was going to be exposed that is why I was asking if anyone was using speaker wire outside. I agree the Anderson connectors are not weather proof.

Do you know if the MC4 connectors work well with the speaker wire. I have a MC4 kit including a crimper ordered but have never crimped one I usually use Anderson.

You could probably crimp it but I don't think speaker wire is a good choice. Not only will it not have enough insulation thickness to seal the MC4 connector properly, something classed as speaker wire is usually low grade low current junk with insulation that is not moisture resistant.

Ok. It was what Will specified. I think it was called Maxbrite on Amazon.

Thanks

If he checked it out it is probably OK. I assumed you just meant something from ebay :)

I usually go to Amazon. Your right about Ebay though

A lot of audio wire is copper clad aluminum. I use it for a lot of stuff but not for anything that is going to carry a load.

Back