diy solar

diy solar

Mounting solar panels on a 40 foot container?

My other idea would be using clamps somehow, screwed into wood. If you shop around they can get pretty cheap. This is just an example I found at first glance. But it is a lot of panels so would probably still add up.

Yes, I looked at those. Trying to keep a small gap between the panels for air flow, but not so big so as to let mice build nests behind the panels. The ideal material would be 3" black anodized flat aluminum bar. But it is way too expensive. Need 80' of it.

Yes, I looked at those. Trying to keep a small gap between the panels for air flow, but not so big so as to let mice build nests behind the panels. The ideal material would be 3" black anodized flat aluminum bar. But it is way too expensive. Need 80' of it.
Could you cut the flat bar into little 1-2" "clamps" in the same profile you are picturing, instead of a long continuous bar?

Pretty good amount of power from 4:00 to 7:00, which is within my peak time of use.

21 kWh vs. 40 kWh for South facing, is that for same total panel wattage rating?
How does peak wattage (that inverter has to process) of West facing array compare to South facing?
Pretty much. South panels are 20 pc 310 watts so 6100w, West panels are 325 x 19 panels so 6175w .
West panels peak 4.4 kw at 5:15pm
South pole tops peak 12:00pm 4,900W

Could you cut the flat bar into little 1-2" "clamps" in the same profile you are picturing, instead of a long continuous bar?
Yes, that is a good idea. It does not have to be continuous. That would bring the costs down dramatically. Cut to about 3" long so that 1 "clamp" holds each panels at the corners. Or in the middle, no big difference, but way cheaper.

By the way, the way they are set up is that each panel is held in at the top an bottom of the aluminum on the panel. You can lift the panels up, tilt the bottom out and remove any panel. As it is now, the 1/2" thick wood in the middle does shade a small amount of the cells on the bottom panels. A small detail I did not think of initially. Just wanted to get the wall covered with as many panels a possible.

Will be interesting to see how much more production is with the new "clamps" that don't shade any of the cells.

Last edited:
Nice. I just started up my 270 degree (due west) array as well. But mine is angled at 25 degrees.
View attachment 212627
In the winter, there's going to be more of a penalty. In the summer though, it's a good curve especially with our peak rates being 4-9pm.
It is interesting that your peak is like 3 hrs before mine (2pm vs 5pm). You can adjust things. If you want later peak, you go more vertical. If you want earlier peak you can angle the panels more. Me, I wanted more power later in the afternoon. As late as possible and practical.

It is interesting that your peak is like 3 hrs before mine (2pm vs 5pm). You can adjust things. If you want later peak, you go more vertical. If you want earlier peak you can angle the panels more. Me, I wanted more power later in the afternoon. As late as possible and practical.
Yes I had originally envisioned mine at more like 45 degrees. But after I set the foundations I did more production math and realized a shallower angle was gonna reduce the overall year round penalty.

Eventually I want to add some south facing arrays as well, and if I had some of those for "bulk" production I'd consider tipping my west array up.

Pretty much. South panels are 20 pc 310 watts so 6100w, West panels are 325 x 19 panels so 6175w .
West panels peak 4.4 kw at 5:15pm
South pole tops peak 12:00pm 4,900W

Suggesting longer path through atmosphere doesn't make much difference, and you can't over-panel without clipping.
Of course, over-paneling would reduce drop-off in production for other seasons.
Good to know when favoring hours of peak rates.

Back