diy solar

diy solar

MPP 12v - refresh my memory

eddie1261

Solar Enthusiast
When plugged in to shore power, does that controller keep my battery topped off? I put the battery into the trailer today and the panel will get mounted tomorrow and right now I have shore power (from the garage) connected to the trailer with the AC in plug plugged in.

Last edited:
Well, when I put the battery in, it was at 13,2. I just checked now, 7 hours later, and with nothing drawing power from it other than the 12v fuse block being connected (with nothing drawing power through it) it is down to 13.0, so apparently the answer is no. I pulled the negative cable off and unplugged it from the shore power so there is nothing drawing power. Tomorrow the solar panel goes on and I will reconnect it. Initially I thought when plugged into shore power the MPP allowed that shore power to keep the battery topped off. Now I am not so sure.

According to ebay there are models that can supposedly can and you can configure the order of preference where power comes from. Maybe your configuration isn't set properly. I don't own one so only guessing.

@Will Prowse Could you weigh in on this question of the shore power keeping batteries topped off or not please? I will get the manual out in a minute here but I do recall that you can say utility first or solar. If I have that wrong, I need to change that, but at the moment there is no solar panel connected, and the only load is the controller itself.

So to reiterate, the AC power in is connected to shore power. Nothing is plugged into the AC power out (inverter), and while the 12v fuse block is connected to the battery, nothing is drawing from it. So if I have this thing set up for the battery to be primary, that means that even though the shore power is connected it has been using my battery all day with nothing replenishing it. Off to the manual!!! And the panel goes on tomorrow. Watch it be cloudy all day....

I put my solar panel on my trailer today but we finished at 6:15pm as the sun was already heading down into the west. I DID see the MPP recognize that there is a solar panel connected, but the question still remains. I was under the impression that the AC in would keep my battery charged when there was no sun. I can't get a definitive answer if that is correct or not. If it is NOT the case I need to buy a charger for it because there will be times I don't have sun here for a stretch of 3-4 day in winter months. I get that I can take the battery out when there is no sun, but that's not really convenient or practical. If the AC in doesn't charge the battery in the absence of sunlight, then this wasn't a good idea for be to go this route. I don't know how to keep this battery charged when there is no sun. The only draw on it right now is that the 12V fuse panel is connected, but nothing else that would draw power. I just tested at 9pm and it is at 12.9v right now. There is AC connected to the MPP and I will know in the morning when I check the battery if the AC power keeps it topped off. I am going to be really disappointed if it doesn't work that way. I went through the settings and they are all on default outside of selecting battery type and the start up alarm. Uncertainty tends to eat at me so tomorrow won't come soon enough.

EDIT: Found it. Parameter 16 was set to solar only. I changed to charge from utility unless there is no utility present at which time it switches to solar. Now tomorrow morning when the sun (hopefully) comes out I will switch that parameter back to solar only so I can see stats of how my panel is doing. There will be pics and a video soon. The way the trailer sits in it's parking space the front end is about 2 inches higher than the back, and the roof is sloped down 4 inches from the center to the front and back (46" in the center, 42" in the front and back). So the panel looks like it is higher in the front than the back, creating a "sail" situation, but that's just an illusion. The panel itself is level. That will be handled when my metalworker friend makes me a piece to be a wind deflector. The way the roof racks are installed from the builder they are not exactly centered on the trailer either. It'll all work out with the wind deflection piece in place. I am just glad it's on there and connected. This trailer is aerodynamic as hell and it tows like it isn't there. On the way home from Florida in July I looked down a few times and I was going 84. Literally tows like it isn't there.

Last edited:
I don't know but I would hope you could choose I wouldn't want grid power charging my batteries if possible just to save the money.

In your application, I agree. I have one panel feeding one battery in a tiny travel trailer that doesn't get used much. Because it stays plugged into a cord from the garage, I want the grid (shore power) to keep the battery topped off because the parking space for the trailer is not the best place for the panel to get sun. Sadly my driveway is where it is, facing due west and the sun's angle to the trailer is partly blocked during the day by the house. So I kind of need to have the grid keep the battery topped off.

Back