diy solar

diy solar

my Off-Grid system

woodshed1

I began dreaming about Solar in the late 1970s, but didn't have the extra funds to play. Forward to 2015, and I began my quest. The wife said "no panels on the House", so I bought a small Shed to begin my learning experience. I am continually upgrading. Thanks for the Forum Will.IMG_2437a.jpg

Thanks. It is just a tad neater than this picture. I fastened a couple wires. Currently @ 12vdc, but plan to change to 48v as soon as I get 2 more batteries. I use the system mostly to Learn, but also to charge my woodworking batteries (DeWalt 20v).

Looks great!! Shed based systems rock. What type of batteries are you using? Looks like your roof is shaded in your profile picture. On a ideal day, how much power can you produce? And thanks!

Looks great!! Shed based systems rock. What type of batteries are you using? Looks like your roof is shaded in your profile picture. On a ideal day, how much power can you produce? And thanks!
First, Thanks.!! I have learned a great deal from your Youtube videos. Batteries.?? Currently 2 HUGE flooded-lead-acid "Bus" batteries. I am currently living only on Retirement income, so when I save enough money I will be going with Lithium-iron-phosphate. Yes, the entire building is 'shaded'. I only get 1-hour of un-shaded Sun light per day at best, but it still keeps the batteries Full. In direct sunlight, the (5) 150-watt panels put out 21+volts DC. The Watts and Amps keep changing on me, and my current MPPT controller does not keep records. Bummer.

Cool learning room!
Some great items there.
I am concerned with the light switch in the photo labeled motorcycle dc...

what does it do? Ac switches can be a fire hazard if switched under load.

"Motorcycle"... It has a single 12vdc wire running to my Motorcycle battery. It just keeps it topped-off. I switch it OFF before disconnecting the Anderson Connector under the MC seat. Should I change the Switch..?? That circuit is also FUSED from the small Fuse panel. In the picture the Switch is Off, but the Light is still ON... reminding me that the circuit is still connected to the Motorcycle.

It depends on the amps the battery is pulling. If you turn it off in float mode, there is very little issue, but if it gets switched off when the charge is strong, it could fail. Dc rated switches are designed to break the arc of a load.
you might want to tie an led on it, to be sure it switches off when told to. 12v is mostly benign with switch contacts, but it is something to be aware of.
"Motorcycle"... It has a single 12vdc wire running to my Motorcycle battery. It just keeps it topped-off. I switch it OFF before disconnecting the Anderson Connector under the MC seat. Should I change the Switch..?? That circuit is also FUSED from the small Fuse panel. In the picture the Switch is Off, but the Light is still ON... reminding me that the circuit is still connected to the Motorcycle.

Watching your video, I notice you also have a pull disconnect for the solar. I use those type disconnects A LOT, and the pulls have various qualities. Next time you pull the handle, check if the buss tabs on the pull are riveted in, or just plastic clips, also check if they are aluminum plated with copper, or if they are solid copper, or even tin plated copper.
I’ve had a lot of broken pulls. Aligning the pull in the disconnect is annoying, and difficult at times.
Everything looks nicely laid out.

Watching your video, I notice you also have a pull disconnect for the solar. I use those type disconnects A LOT, and the pulls have various qualities. Next time you pull the handle, check if the buss tabs on the pull are riveted in, or just plastic clips, also check if they are aluminum plated with copper, or if they are solid copper, or even tin plated copper.
I’ve had a lot of broken pulls. Aligning the pull in the disconnect is annoying, and difficult at times.
Everything looks nicely laid out.
Personally, I think it looks a little "cluttered", but then I used to restore Show Cars for a friend. I will check the 'pull disconnect' soon... probably this evening. Attached is a pic of the starting point with only 2 panels and NO fuses (other than the Pull-panel)... 20160408_173053.jpg

Back