diy solar

diy solar

Need recommendations on microhydro generator

Lottarainhelps

Head height 650’. Using 3” pipe for minimum fall distance of 1000’ then reducing to 2” for another 1000’
Flow: during rainy season more than sufficient
Need recommendations on generator to produce 120volt AC 2 or 3 phase and electrical equipment to go with it.
Distance to load about 800’
Plan to install inverter and battery storage at load site
Would prefer not to use low voltage generator because of voltage loss over distance to load site

Head height 650’. Using 3” pipe for minimum fall distance of 1000’ then reducing to 2” for another 1000’
Flow: during rainy season more than sufficient
Need recommendations on generator to produce 120volt AC 2 or 3 phase and electrical equipment to go with it.
Distance to load about 800’
Plan to install inverter and battery storage at load site
Would prefer not to use low voltage generator because of voltage loss over distance to load site
That’s a bit more flow and pressure than most of us will see.
You might want a professional on this one..

That’s a bit more flow and pressure than most of us will see.
You might want a professional on this one..
For sure. It would be cool get all the details.

OP may have a lot of this all figured out but my first response also was that "this isn't the sort of project for a typical homegamer".

I can't put my fingers on the formula that I used years ago but I did find this.

ft x gpm x 0.18 x 0.50 eff = watts

650 ft x 50 gpm (just a guess) x .18 x .5 = 3kW. ~70kWH/day

edit to fix typo

Last edited:
For sure. It would be cool get all the details.

OP may have a lot of this all figured out but my first response also was that "this isn't the sort of project for a typical homegamer".

I can't put my fingers on the formula I'm that I used years ago but I did find this.

ft x gpm x 0.18 x 0.50 eff = watts

650 ft x 50 gpm (just a guess) x .18 x .5 = 3kW. ~70kWH/day
I can’t remember the formula either off the top of my head but I imagine with 650’ head he will be in the 15kw range depending on which turbine he gets and the volume.

Turgo or Pelton I would imagine.

The 1000ft of 2" is the killer, I'd expect to max out around 100gpm at 175psi or so, probably somewhere around 2kw generator, so 48kwh/day which is still A LOT.

https://hipowerhydro.com (not mine, not affiliated, but have done business with before) should be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Back