diy solar

diy solar

Need review of schematic for camper solar/electrical system

rmaddy

Full-time Solar-powered Trailer Life
Attached is a PDF of a schematic for my planned electrical system for a cargo trailer camper conversion. This is a 24VDC system. Major components include a 24V/2000W inverter/charger, an MPPT charge controller, a battery protect, probably 4 x 300W (2S2P) of solar panels.

This setup supports various 24VDC components and various 12VDC components. The inverter allows for some 110VAC outlets/appliances. The camper will have a 30A plug for shore power for the times I'm plugged in somewhere allowing the batteries to be recharged while plugged in. And of course the batteries will be charged via the solar setup.

The two cutoff switches allow the DC and AC sides of the system to be independently disconnected if needed.

In the diagram, the blue parts are various Victron components. The batteries will most likely be BattleBorn LiFePO4. The solar panels may be from Renogy but I'm waiting until the summer to finalize the choice of panels.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Please point out any problems. I saw a recent thread here about possible misuses of a Victron battery protect. I don't think my setup has that issue but if it does, let me know. I'm new to this and this schematic came together after lots of research and references to others.

Thanks

Attachments

• Schematic.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 58
Why cut them down to .75"? Seems unnecessary. More material is mo better.

Either way, you've got a kick-ass design. You will be solar rich.

A 1/4" x 3/4" copper busbar is slightly bigger than 4/0 AWG wire (comparing cross-section area). I only need the equivalent of 1/0. Leaving it at 1.5" is ridiculous overkill.

Thanks.

I was looking over another meticulously planned system that has many of the same elements. Maybe you've seen it or maybe you can self-sanity check a little by looking it over.

I'll stop muddying your thread now. Sorry.

Schematic looks good to me, (i have similar plans for a 48v RV system) i would only ask if the frames of the solar panel array needs an earth/chassis grounding?
Note: i'm a newbie just learning, so just picking up info as i go.

Schematic looks good to me, (i have similar plans for a 48v RV system) i would only ask if the frames of the solar panel array needs an earth/chassis grounding?

Thanks. I have no idea about the grounding of the solar panels. That's not something I've looked into yet. I'll add that to my TODO list.

Back