diy solar

diy solar

Need small LiFePO4 batteries to replace AGM batteries in security system, FIOS, UPS, etc

politics123

Every couple years, my 12v 7.2 AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries go bad and I need to buy replacements. I have a surprising large number of these -- three in older UPS systems, two used as the backup power source in a couple security system boxes, one as backup to FIOS, etc.

It would make sense to replace the AGM batteries with a LiFEPO4, getting the benefit of longer life and more power density. I've seen lots of teardowns on larger LiFePO4 batteries, but nothing obvious for smaller ones. Any recommendations, tear-downs, etc?

Thanks!

UPS SLA are run VERY hard relative to their ratings. You will be hard pressed to find that class of LFP able to handle the current.

Ensure that any option you identify can handle the current. They tend to be both cell and BMS limited.

From my personal research, I would need to consolidate everything onto a single UPS to make it worthwhile. I have 6 units today, with a total load of ~450W. A single system with a 24V, 55Ah rating would be perfect. The problem is the wiring makes it impractical. I would need to put in something like 200' of 12/2 in the crawl space and add outlets, which would cover 5 of the units; the 6th is upstairs with no easy way to run new wire.

Every couple years, my 12v 7.2 AH Sealed Lead Acid batteries go bad and I need to buy replacements. I have a surprising large number of these -- three in older UPS systems, two used as the backup power source in a couple security system boxes, one as backup to FIOS, etc.

It would make sense to replace the AGM batteries with a LiFEPO4, getting the benefit of longer life and more power density. I've seen lots of teardowns on larger LiFePO4 batteries, but nothing obvious for smaller ones. Any recommendations, tear-downs, etc?

Thanks!
Major problem is many UPS's are setup to charge the SLA and not liFePO4's.

Back