diy solar

diy solar

New Forum Group Available: Job Posting Corner

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
New section is now available under the general discussion category. You can find it here: https://diysolarforum.com/forums/job-posting-corner.85/

Finding people who have experience with low voltage DC, LiFePO4 battery installation or marine electronics can be a nightmare. So I figured it would be an awesome idea to add a job posting corner!

I have off-grid solar companies asking me to find individuals to work for them all the time. I'll just direct them to this section moving forward.

These jobs can be full time corporate positions, or single man install work. Anything goes!

Exercise caution with every listing. Do not send money or personal information until you verify that it is a real business or reliable individual. You are ultimately responsible for actions in this section and there are obviously risks. But I think this addition to the forum will be a net positive to the world. DIY solar is a niche topic and it can be difficult to find people who are passionate about this topic.

Please report any malicious or suspicious job postings. And if you have a bad experience, let me know!

William Prowse

New section is now available under the general discussion category. You can find it here: https://diysolarforum.com/forums/job-posting-corner.85/

Finding people who have experience with low voltage DC, LiFePO4 battery installation or marine electronics can be a nightmare. So I figured it would be an awesome idea to add a job posting corner!

I have off-grid solar companies asking me to find individuals to work for them all the time. I'll just direct them to this section moving forward.

These jobs can be full time corporate positions, or single man install work. Anything goes!

Exercise caution with every listing. Do not send money or personal information until you verify that it is a real business or reliable individual. You are ultimately responsible for actions in this section and there are obviously risks. But I think this addition to the forum will be a net positive to the world. DIY solar is a niche topic and it can be difficult to find people who are passionate about this topic.

Please report any malicious or suspicious job postings. And if you have a bad experience, let me know!

William Prowse
Thanks Will!

After doing my first install and working with the vendor’s technicians, I learned they were way over their heads and couldn’t resolve several important topics. Plus, many companies are unable to keep up with their tickets.

I was thinking who better to help these companies than those with first hand knowledge in the field with these systems. Hopefully this section can help everyone find the help so desperately needed.

Best,
-Jay

Hello everyone. I have been wanting to install a whole house system from Signature Solar. My problem is I'm to old and crippled to do it myself. I have searched everywhere around Central PA zip 17051 without success! Installers I have contacted only want to install their own equipment and not others. As you can guess their prices are 2 to 3 times more then the systems from SS, we can't afford that. I need someone to do an install and consult. Can anyone here help us?
Maybe you should post this in the section Will just announced in this thread? Or ask mods to move it?

I'm happy to see this new section. I suspect there are a lot of people in need and no way of finding anyone with the skills needed.
(y) to Will!

Is that thread strictly for "jobs offered", including, "I need help with ..."?

Or is it meant for "help offered", including "I am an installer/engineer/contractor/etc."?

At the moment, I see two of each type. If both kinds are allowed, would be better to have separate section for each.
(Of course, postings should comply with laws, e.g. contractor's license posted where applicable.)

Is that thread strictly for "jobs offered", including, "I need help with ..."?

Or is it meant for "help offered", including "I am an installer/engineer/contractor/etc."?

At the moment, I see two of each type. If both kinds are allowed, would be better to have separate section for each.
(Of course, postings should comply with laws, e.g. contractor's license posted where applicable.)
As I read it, either help wanted or help offered fits the criteria. I'm not sure where liability would fall with unlicensed contractors posting but I think Will is in the clear on that part. One of those caveat emptor kind of things.

I understood it as both.
"I need help installing my system"
Or
"I can help install systems"
Hopefully each post includes a location. Or it's just going to be a mess.
My understanding was the intent was primarily for companies and individuals to post looking to hire installers. At some point it may make sense to have it segregated by looking to help and looking for help….

For those in California,

"It is illegal for an unlicensed person to perform contracting work on any project valued at $500 or more in combined labor and material costs. Besides being illegal, unlicensed contractors lack accountability and have a high rate of involvement in construction scams. They also are unfair competition for licensed contractors who operate with bonds, insurance, and other responsible business practices."

"Licensed contractors must include their license number in all construction contracts, subcontracts, and calls for bid, and all forms of advertising."

Contractors are required to have Worker's Compensation insurance if they have employees. This provides "no fault" protection.

Unfortunately, California makes consumers liable if a contractor fails to hold required insurance. To protect yourself, have the contractor request his insurance company send you a document showing protection is in place. Otherwise, everything you own is at risk. People do fall off roofs. At one time, insurance premiums for roof work was 100% of wages, which says something about the loss rates.

Same is true regarding "Call before you dig". If the contractor hits underground utilities without having called first to have them marked, consumer is also liable.

If someone hires a non-licensed person to help with PV, that person is an employee, not a contractor. This can be done legally, including obtaining city permits. But purchasing worker's compensation insurance is necessary.

"Caveat Emptor!"

Other states will vary, may have similar liability issues.

For those in California,

"It is illegal for an unlicensed person to perform contracting work on any project valued at $500 or more in combined labor and material costs. Besides being illegal, unlicensed contractors lack accountability and have a high rate of involvement in construction scams. They also are unfair competition for licensed contractors who operate with bonds, insurance, and other responsible business practices."

"Licensed contractors must include their license number in all construction contracts, subcontracts, and calls for bid, and all forms of advertising."

Contractors are required to have Worker's Compensation insurance if they have employees. This provides "no fault" protection.

Unfortunately, California makes consumers liable if a contractor fails to hold required insurance. To protect yourself, have the contractor request his insurance company send you a document showing protection is in place. Otherwise, everything you own is at risk. People do fall off roofs. At one time, insurance premiums for roof work was 100% of wages, which says something about the loss rates.

Same is true regarding "Call before you dig". If the contractor hits underground utilities without having called first to have them marked, consumer is also liable.

If someone hires a non-licensed person to help with PV, that person is an employee, not a contractor. This can be done legally, including obtaining city permits. But purchasing worker's compensation insurance is necessary.

"Caveat Emptor!"

Other states will vary, may have similar liability issues.
Good grief. Just pay me what you think is fair, as long as it is $200/hr and paid in cash would be great! All jokes aside, I think this write-up is a tad bit much and unnecessary here. So glad I left that place. The government there is just totally idiotic. They wanted me to pull my perfectly good water valve out of the ground. I told them show me in the spec where it is required. They couldn’t show me so I did nothing.

Last edited:
Good grief. Just pay me what you think is fair, as long as it is $200/hr and paid in cash would be great! All jokes aside, I think this write-up is a tad bit much and unnecessary here. So glad I left that place. The government there is just totally idiotic. They wanted me to pull my perfectly good water valve out of the ground. I told them show me in the spec where it is required. They couldn’t show me so I did nothing.
OK JC, when can you start?

Back