diy solar

diy solar

Nightime AC by way of daytime freezing using dump load - is my plan crazy?

Where does he live? What design of pipes? That sounds impressive

Many examples on youtube. He took it one step further and hyper-insulated his house. He used 2x12 studs in walls to get extra space for insulation. He used spray in foam. He has either 3 layer or 4 layer hyper windows. It can be -20f outside and you staand by a window and its not cold.

If you live in a humid climate, increase your battery bank for night use and power an AC unit for the room you want to cool. Easier and cheaper.

If you live in a dry climate get a swamp cooler.

You can buy a high efficiency spilt AC unit designed to cool one room cheep $1000 to $2000

My area isn't designated swamp, but it might as well be. Swamp coolers are just out. I'll be saving for an AC. Just cant expect the batteries to keep up.

I can run my RV AC about 6 to 8 hours on my battery system of about 8000 (2 tesla 5.3Kwatt hour each) watt hours plus 1150 watts PV. My AC will draw between 1400 to 2000 watts for a 13500 but roof top unit. Of course it does not draw power 100% of the time as it cycles. This AC unit is very inefficient, but it is what i have right now.

There are 24 VDC 8000 btu Air Con mini split units that will sip a mac 700 watt hours without a need for an inverter. I just priced one ofvthese for $900.

I can run my RV AC about 6 to 8 hours on my battery system of about 8000 (2 tesla 5.3Kwatt hour each) watt hours plus 1150 watts PV. My AC will draw between 1400 to 2000 watts for a 13500 but roof top unit. Of course it does not draw power 100% of the time as it cycles. This AC unit is very inefficient, but it is what i have right now.

There are 24 VDC 8000 btu Air Con mini split units that will sip a mac 700 watt hours without a need for an inverter. I just priced one ofvthese for $900.
I personally own 5 x 8500BTU Daikin split air-conditioning units, each use 550 watt max.

If I pre- cool the air by misting water in front of them, only 450 watts.

They can do 11500 BTU but use 850-900 watts then.

At 8500 BTU they are really efficient.
EER 23.78

Price?
Under 500 USD per unit, installed.
(Thailand)

There are units close or maybe even over 30 EER, their price is still to high to be usable.

50 watts less from 500, is a lot better (10%) but still just 50 watts :)
Extra solar power and batteries are cheaper.

Geothermal heating/cooling is great, you don't need to replace every 10 years, but is good for ever.

It is not always the best solution, but your carbon footprint is as small as possible for your lifetime.
You only replace pumps every 15-20 years.
And that is a really good thing.

Using the spray foam...
Well... Obviously environmental wasn't his concern.
That have huge footprint!

Another way to cool your house using little electrical power is more in line with geo thermal. Build an underground cistern. Fill it with rain water from your roof and the pump the water to a heat exchanger evaporater in your house and blow air through it. You can use 12 vdc fans and pumps.
You can reverse it in the winter to maintain the house temp to the water temp and heat your house with fire.

I personally own 5 x 8500BTU Daikin split air-conditioning units, each use 550 watt max.

If I pre- cool the air by misting water in front of them, only 450 watts.

They can do 11500 BTU but use 850-900 watts then.

At 8500 BTU they are really efficient.
EER 23.78

Price?
Under 500 USD per unit, installed.
(Thailand)

There are units close or maybe even over 30 EER, their price is still to high to be usable.

50 watts less from 500, is a lot better (10%) but still just 50 watts :)
Extra solar power and batteries are cheaper.

Geothermal heating/cooling is great, you don't need to replace every 10 years, but is good for ever.

It is not always the best solution, but your carbon footprint is as small as possible for your lifetime.
You only replace pumps every 15-20 years.
And that is a really good thing.

Using the spray foam...
Well... Obviously environmental wasn't his concern.
That have huge footprint!
can you provide a model number and link to purchase in your country so as to source in the USA?

can you provide a model number and link to purchase in your country so as to source in the USA?
A friend of mine asked me to sent pictures to him a few days ago.
They are already on my phone:

Looking at the numbers, they are 490 watt standard for the 8500 BTU. ( Not 550watt)

I didn't test with a meter on this unit, just total power consumption.
The power usage drop of 100 watts using the misting (pre-cool air) is more accurate as it's easy to turn on and see the changes.
To make it better: between 75 and 100 watts :)

Inside unit
1592289085839.jpg
The outside unit

1592289033676.jpg

Daikin USA website probably can give you all the information you need.

If you search there for split air-conditioning system and 8500 BTU, or EER 23.78 (Just high EER, they are proud of it so probably advertise with it)

If I'm correct, Daikin is Asian brand, USA might have real high import duties to protect Local companies.

Last edited:
A friend of mine asked me to sent pictures to him a few days ago.
They are already on my phone:

Looking at the numbers, they are 490 watt standard for the 8500 BTU. ( Not 550watt)

I didn't test with a meter on this unit, just total power consumption.
The power usage drop of 100 watts using the misting (pre-cool air) is more accurate as it's easy to turn on and see the changes.
To make it better: between 75 and 100 watts :)

Inside unit
View attachment 15820
The outside unit

View attachment 15821

Daikin USA website probably can give you all the information you need.

If you search there for split air-conditioning system and 8500 BTU, or EER 23.78 (Just high EER, they are proud of it so probably advertise with it)

If I'm correct, Daikin is Asian brand, USA might have real high import duties to protect Local companies.
i think all mini splits are manufactured in Asia. This is an R32 refrigerant i dont think is very common in North America, but is highly efficient. This unit cant be used in North America since it is 50 hz. We are 60 hz 110v or 220v.

i think all mini splits are manufactured in Asia. This is an R32 refrigerant i dont think is very common in North America, but is highly efficient. This unit cant be used in North America since it is 50 hz. We are 60 hz 110v or 220v.
I'm sure this is "Thailand only" type number, yet almost identical type can be bought in Philippines (same EER)

50 or 60hz, 110 or 220, Daikin sells all over the globe.
The Hz and voltage should not have that big influence on the EER.

Search on the Daikin USA website for same model, USA market.

R32 is used a lot here, already for many years.
Unless USA have some regulations that prevents it from being used, it should be there as well.
(Same manufacturers for global)

When I did my research, a year ago, I found that the highest efficient models (EER +28) where sold in the USA, not yet Thailand!

The EER 23.78 was the best I could find, and lucky for me, they where on sale. At a regular hardware store ("Homepro").

I'm sure this is "Thailand only" type number, yet almost identical type can be bought in Philippines (same EER)

When I did my research, a year ago, I found that the highest efficient models (EER +28) where sold in the USA, not yet Thailand!

The EER 23.78 was the best I could find, and lucky for me, they where on sale. At a regular hardware store ("Homepro").
I'm trying to find this model here in PH; I know it's been good to you.
When I search daikin's main site they brag about EER 15.8 and SEER 26.1 on their line.
Are you sure the EER rating is in the twenties? I looked at your photos and they say it has a COP (Coefficient of Performance) rating of 5.1
The equation to obtain EER from COP is:
COP = EER / 3.412​
So your Air conditioner's EER is 5.1 * 3.412 = 17.4
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Back