diy solar

diy solar

Panels for South Africa Solar Trolley

Rexler

Hi, I’m new to all of this so please bear with me. I want to buy a solar trolley (battery, controller, inverter all built into a box on wheels) for a mobile use. I was looking at this one: https://solarwarehousesa.com/produc...erter-trolley-100ah-lithium-battery-bluetooth It’s a 1.28kwh system.

I figured that I could use a single, large panel to charge it, but the guy at the shop told me that I need to use multiple panels, and recommended 3 100watt panels. I was planning on maybe using 1 500 watt panel. Do batteries like this need high voltage to charge? Am I missing something? I am constricted and can’t use multiple panels.

I'm confused about their use of PWM/MPPT terminology

MPPT/PWM input voltage range 12V PWM 15-50VDC 24V PWM 30V-105VDC
Maximum PV array open circuit voltage: 12V PWM50VDC 24V PWM105VDC

PV voltage differentials are listed in a fashion that reflects PWM charging, but 50/105v seems high for 12/24v respectively.

If charging current is 60A and if it is PWM than charging current safe zone is 45A (0.8*60A) 45*15=675w at presumably under 50v as 12.8v is stated as nominal voltage.

PWM charging Lifepo4 sounds suss to me. I'd want to know charging parameters before buying otherwise it may shorten the life of it's own battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. You’re right, and thanks for pointing that out. If you go up in size, there are options that don’t seem to have that PWM language

Any takers on this subject? Can someone explain to me why one large panel can’t charge this system?

Back