diy solar

diy solar

Planning stages for trailer

robstrom

This will end up as a mishmash of questions.
Been watching Will's channel for a year plus.
I'll start with application/ limitations.
7 x 16 cargo trailer conversion, mini woodstove in already, interior fitment ongoing (4 season unit in Northern Canada, -20C typical for Jan/Feb.
Purpose of Use: It's a 'survival unit', bad economy/job loss/ill health/move for work etc., for me and the cat.
Energy needs: 12 volt lighting, basic charging for 'the stuff', small fridge/freezer combo, possible induction cooktop 1 burner.
Initial install thoughts/ limitations:
1 Battleborn !00 Amp h(1200 watts) ,with another at some future point, suitable 1000-2000 watt inverter (buy it once if I can).
I have a Honda 2000 as required, for 'large' continuous loads., propane stove for cooking, 27 amp Noco Genius to cost effectively charge as required.
Solar panels/series vs parallel, few larger/more smaller: As per here, larger panel =more glass flex, possible cracking;smaller = more holes/mounting issues.
Series =lower amps/ lower gauge. Parallel = less shading issues. Longest wiring run is about 8'.
Shading IS an issue, especially in winter.
My woodstove stack,today,shades about 5'. I can build brackets to angle to the sun, but on the rearward panels at least, can't avoid that shadow.
Why not build everything in parallel? Extra wire cost is minimal, in this case, and a 'fatter' controller'?
Will says parallel as much as able.

I'm building less for comfort, more for reliabilty/ robustness.
I hope I never need it to live in. Just planning for that.
I've built 3 houses from scratch, alone. I'm competent.
No shop, no bench, no interest in building batteries etc.
Needs/purpose of use/limitations.

We all have a cost/benefit equation in our heads.
"Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."
In Canada, add 30% exchange.
Oh, and shipping by air from everybody.
That 949 Battleborn w free shipping from there, or a Canadian distributor (there is one!!), 1400 in my pesos.

Told you it would be a mishmash .
Have at it with your thoughts.;)

PS: I may find myself in a sheltered from winter wind location, and stringing a panel(s) outdoors. I'll deal with the wiring needed for that later.
Hence, my thought towards parallel arrangement.

Last edited:
Geez... I wish I had seen this post earlier. Have you started your build yet? I'm doing a 6 x 12 trailer now for next years BBQ season. I'll try and collect some pics of my install. I did a down & dirty video for the guys at Dakota Lithium cuz they wanted to see what I did. I'll link to it here.

Also, I opted not to mount to the roof. I used superstrut attached to "L" brackets attached to the side. Please post some updates.
Brett.

... and a picture of the cat.

Last edited:
20190715_195803.jpg

So, this is the best image I have at the moment. If you zoom in to my left hand, you can get the idea. This is the shallow Superstrut rail. In hindsight, I shoulda gone with the deeper one.

Back