diy solar

diy solar

PV as awnings

doppler

thinking about going with 180 watt panels on 5th wheel as adjustable awnings. two on slide out, one on escape bedroom window using auxiliary wiring only when boondocked, thoughts, flames , rocks thrown my way?

I have seen it before. I would just worry about. Rocks or something hitting them while driving down road. I have a plan for some over the windows on my cabin just have not had time to implement yet.

Been thinking along the same lines for my 20’ toy hauler with very limited roof space. Panels will be double stacked, the top ones stationary and the bottom ones on full extension drawer glides, extending towards the rear over the ramp door.

I built something similar a while back on the side of a trailer I modified. Three 100w panels mounted on hinges covering a window and can be swung up into various positions catching sunlight from either side of the trailer using an removable extension pole, and also acting as a window awning when up.

9BEE9DC4-BCC4-4D58-8AFD-B0F31C3A48F8.jpegwhen parked.

thinking about going with 180 watt panels on 5th wheel as adjustable awnings. two on slide out, one on escape bedroom window using auxiliary wiring only when boondocked, thoughts, flames , rocks thrown my way?

I think its a cool idea, maybe more towards "cool" than "practical" if you can fit the wattage you need on your roof, but its something I've been mulling over for the past few months, I really like the concept.

At least two ways it could be accomplished, vertical mount over the windows (effectively covering them when awnings are down), or horizontally mounting on the roof using some kind of sliding rack system and 'layering' the panels.

Here is one example

Back