diy solar

diy solar

PV Powered Inverter humming more than usual on start up and low input

pvhappy

New to the Forum: I have a PV Powered PVP4800 2012 grid-tied inverter that services a 5.2 kw system. It has started making a loud humming noise in the morning and evening when it's cycling through on and off. It was replaced under warranty after 1 year, when the former one had the same symptoms. I was told that maybe the CPU could have been defective and was turning it on when it should have stayed off. Or, that the transformer was loose or defective. PV Powered is no longer around (sold to Advanced Energy, I think) and there is no support for this unit. The inverter seems to be working fine when the system is generating at lease a few hundred watts, when it stops humming as loudly. My question is, how concerned should I be? Is it about to fail? Is it using an appreciable amount of power cycling on and off, sometimes for hours if heavy clouds? Lastly, what should I replace it with? One local contractor suggests a Tesla inverter, about 8000w for about $1500 installed.

Oh, I had installed a PVM1010 Inverter Monitoring Module, but can't use it as the webpage went away. Is there an alternative web site that would allow me to interface with my monitoring module?

I would not want that inverter and would go with a new install.

$1500 seems suspiciously low for a solar install. Appears you are going from a 4 kw inverter to an 8 kw inverter and I would think that needs system design and inspection.

I do recommend replacing it with something that a reputable local installer will handle. The hardware I went with there is only one authorized dealer in AZ, and I don't recommend you ask an installer to put a quality piece of equipment on your house if its the first one he installs.

I like going to solarreviews.com. The installers on that site have to be in business for five years to show reviews. In my valley of six million people, I have many options. In a more rural isolated places, sometimes none will appear on the site.

Back