diy solar

diy solar

PV Testing Equipment?

dmkjr

Solar Enthusiast
I've seen a few low cost testing equipment with MC4 connectors that test PV output of solar panels. I've seen a few variant with 400w, 800w, and 1600w editions. It looks like it will provide VOC, max watt output, etc.

Are these worth the $75-125 they cost? Is there better equipment? Anything I should be aware of? Can think this will help if trying to determine a power output issue.

I've seen a few low cost testing equipment with MC4 connectors that test PV output of solar panels. I've seen a few variant with 400w, 800w, and 1600w editions. It looks like it will provide VOC, max watt output, etc.

Are these worth the $75-125 they cost? Is there better equipment? Anything I should be aware of? Can think this will help if trying to determine a power output issue.
I would guess the utility is limited without being able to compare the output to a reference cell.

There are plenty of expensive testers out there such as https://www.tequipment.net/HT-Instruments/I-V-400w/Solar-Field-Analyzers/?b=y&v=74532

If you are going to properly commission a system these tools make sense. For troubleshooting or diagnostics I am less convinced.

How about short circuiting a panel by connecting the pos and neg wires to each other. Then use a clamp ammeter to clamp around one wire to read the amps flowing.

Thats my plan. Also thought about making a connecting wire with mc4 connectors and literally wire the VOM in series with the panel leads. My VOM clamp is less accurate then testing amps with the vom cables.

Back